DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the deal i already have a 20 amp outlet installed in my room.Now i want to install another 20 amp outlet.Can i just run 1 new hot wire from the new 20 amp breaker to the outlet and connect the neutral and the ground that is connected to the old outlet.Basically like daisy chaining the ground wire and neutral wire but running a new hot wire.Or do i have to run a new ground wire and neutral wire altogether

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Ok so here is the deal i already have a 20 amp outlet installed in my room.Now i want to install another 20 amp outlet.Can i just run 1 new hot wire from the new 20 amp breaker to the outlet and connect the neutral and the ground that is connected to the old outlet.Basically like daisy chaining the ground wire and neutral wire but running a new hot wire.Or do i have to run a new ground wire and neutral wire altogether
How were you going to manage that task?

If everything is in conduit, you can create your existing circuit into a MWBC and share one neutral and ground with two hot conductors...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the wire is in conduit i was just wondering if i could daisy chain the ground and neutral from the other outlet and wire it to my new outlet while running a new hot wire from the new breaker to the new outlet or to i have to run a seperate ground and neutral wire to the new outlet cause i really dont feel like snaking 75 feet of wire 3x thru the conduit but if i have to i will :)

·
Licensed electrician
13,379 Posts
If you share the neutral you will need a two pole or two handle tied breakers. You will also need to splice the neutrals as you now have a multi-wire branch circuit.

If you run a new neutral you can leave the other circuit as it is. The ground can be shared.

·
Licensed electrician
13,379 Posts
Good point Run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts