DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a way to hard wire a wall mounted hair dryer to an outlet and keep at least one of the plugs available. Is there an outlet face plate with a small hole to run a wire through maybe even in place of one of the plugs?

I am the Asst. Manager at a hotel and we have to keep up with fire code as well so i require one that is designed around a surge protected outlet.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
I was looking for a way to hard wire a wall mounted hair dryer to an outlet and keep at least one of the plugs available. Is there an outlet face plate with a small hole to run a wire through maybe even in place of one of the plugs?

I am the Asst. Manager at a hotel and we have to keep up with fire code as well so i require one that is designed around a surge protected outlet.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Simple, hire an electrician, he will have all your answers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Maybe I have not been clear. I have a box of hair dryers that need to replace old ones in rooms but the ones I have are not plug in they have loose wires. The entire hotel has hair dryers in the rooms. I can't send back the ones I have because we have had them since who knows when.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Maybe I have not been clear. I have a box of hair dryers that need to replace old ones in rooms but the ones I have are not plug in they have loose wires. The entire hotel has hair dryers in the rooms. I can't send back the ones I have because we have had them since who knows when.
And there is no way in hell you can install those without an electrical contractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you know the outcome if someone is killed? It will not be pretty. You can kill yourself doing work in your own home doing your own wiring, but you can't do this type of work outside of that.
Right, because killing the breaker is out of the question. You're not helping.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Yes there is a way to do it. If one man can do it so can another.

Well sorry to be harsh but you mention motel ., any electrical work have to be done by electrician and I will not let any " handyperson " get into electrical system that something you don't want to mess around.

There are specfic rules we have to follow to install those items. You just can't " half a$$ed " rig them up.

Now next part you say killing the breaker is out of the question that is wrong right there you can shedule a short down time to shut a branch circuit breaker to that room and deal with it and OSHA will love to heard this one.

And I am sure you undestand this is a DIY fourm genrally geared to the homeowners not the commercal owner whom try to save money if not following the regulations or codes.

Again sorry to be harsh but the codes are strict on them espcally with motels.

I live in France and we do have very strict codes to follow it the same way with Americian electricians to do it.

So bottom line it much better just hire a electrician and go from there.

Bon Chance !!

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: apheix and user1007

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Not sure I understand the post but here is a company that just sell switchplates. And where are you by the way? You might want to update your profile with basic information.

http://www.justswitchplates.com/switchplates-all-products.html?size=1+Cable+TV

You can get a plug that goes in a standard socket coverplate that has a round hole for a cable tv pass through or fitting and a blank in the other side that plugs it.

I don't think you can get away with hot wiring hairdryer inside the wall though. You should bite the bullet and call a sparky. If something goes wrong, you will be up a creek without a paddle. Of course what could possibly go wrong with electricity near water and a cord to a heat element buried in the wall without protection?

I think the point people were trying to make is that you most probably need a licensed electrician sign-off on this project---just for insurance purposes or for inspections---so in that sense you cannot do this work yourself unless you are licensed.

Again, I admit I do not fully understand what you are trying to do but why not just wire plugs on the end of these if they have none? Then just plug them into protected outlets in the conventional way?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So you're going to leave the breaker off forever?

He's not talking about killing someone who's doing the work, he's talking about fire and electrocution hazard after it's done wrong and some unsuspecting guest gets fried, one way or another, because YOU couldn't afford an electrician. I hope you can afford a lawyer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well sorry to be harsh but you mention motel ., any electrical work have to be done by electrician and I will not let any " handyperson " get into electrical system that something you don't want to mess around.

There are specfic rules we have to follow to install those items. You just can't " half a$$ed " rig them up.

Now next part you say killing the breaker is out of the question that is wrong right there you can shedule a short down time to shut a branch circuit breaker to that room and deal with it and OSHA will love to heard this one.

And I am sure you undestand this is a DIY fourm genrally geared to the homeowners not the commercal owner whom try to save money if not following the regulations or codes.

Again sorry to be harsh but the codes are strict on them espcally with motels.

I live in France and we do have very strict codes to follow it the same way with Americian electricians to do it.

So bottom line it much better just hire a electrician and go from there.

Bon Chance !!

Merci,
Marc
Thank you for your explanation. Based on the number of rooms and the cost for new hair dryers as appose to hiring an electrician I may just go with buying new hair dryers.

If I cannot replace a hair dryer without calling an electrician then it's not worth it in the long run.

I completely accept criticism and harsh truth if it is explained in a civil and intelligent manner.

Thanks again.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Thank you for your explanation. Based on the number of rooms and the cost for new hair dryers as appose to hiring an electrician I may just go with buying new hair dryers.

If I cannot replace a hair dryer without calling an electrician then it's not worth it in the long run.

I completely accept criticism and harsh truth if it is explained in a civil and intelligent manner.

Thanks again.
That is not a problem at all as long you can understand our point of view what we are try to do is steer them in correct way for safety reason.

I am pretty sure there is other kind of hairdryer you can use a new style which it will not affect the GFCI receptale at all and it is still semi perament mounting but it will have a cord end that still attached to the receptale so that may elemated the need of electrician on that part.

Our European verison we used we have dryer shelf or port if you want to call it and it is semi perament and it have hanger to hang up the hair dryer which it do included a automatique switch so when you hang it up it will shut it off.

So that one option you can take a look at it. There are few way you can do it in safe manner.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am pretty sure there is other kind of hairdryer you can use a new style which it will not affect the GFCI receptale at all and it is still semi perament mounting but it will have a cord end that still attached to the receptale so that may elemated the need of electrician on that part.
Right, the ones we have in the room now are simple. They have a bracket to hold the hair dryer and a regular plug in with a pig tail cord. I've had a few burn out and what was ordered ages ago was the strange ones I mentioned previously.

I can find something similar.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Right, the ones we have in the room now are simple. They have a bracket to hold the hair dryer and a regular plug in with a pig tail cord. I've had a few burn out and what was ordered ages ago was the strange ones I mentioned previously.

I can find something similar.
I will throw the link for you so you can take a look and this listing is for Americian side so you will have no issue with them ( our European verison are differnt )

http://www.wallmountdryer.com/wall-mount-hair-dryers/?sort=bestselling

Merci,.
Marc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts