DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Building a shed. For electrical, I'd like to get 100 amp service in the shed, about 140 ft away from the 200 amp service in the house. In the future hope to build another small shed about another 100 ft away, and get maybe 50 amp out to that.

Will be permitting and a licensed electrician will do final hookup. I'm hoping we can get 100 amps with buried in conduit 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 Aluminum feeder cable.

I will be running boxes and doing wiring inside the shed, that's what I've got a few questions on...

Building Wood Sky Tree House

Wood Beam Building Plank Hardwood

Looking to verify this is all good plan: Installing 100 amp Homeline neutral load center. Will be running 14 120v duplex outlets on the 1st floor, 4 duplex outlets in attic, and 7 duplex outlets controlled by 3 switches on the ceiling, for plug in shop lights. Everything will be split between 5 AFCI/GFCI 20amp circuits. Also one 240v plug/50amp circuit.

I'm planning to put up barnboard or paneling inside at some point, and was thinking EMT on top of that would be best to avoid drilling so many (or any) holes in framing - but I'd like to run the electrical first.

My question is how can I wire this and be able to drill the fewest amount of holes through the framing? Is it okay to fish wire up between studs, since struts are narrower than studs, then drill hole through ceiling joist? Just seems like drilling through all the 2x4 studs around the shed is a bad idea.

And which method should I use? Should I use 12/2 UF-B wire with no conduit and plastic boxes OR 12-awg THHN wire pulled through EMT and metal boxes?

Or can I pull 12/2 romex, and only put EMT in parts that would be exposed after drywall up - like the corners?

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Symmetry

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,669 Posts
You don't need 4/0 for 100 amps at 140 feet, #1 Al gives a little under 3% drop.

Personally I would drill the studs and run NM (Romex) but if you don't run up and down in the stud bays (You will use a lot more cable). The NEC does not require NM to be covered unless subject to damage.

Reactions: dchatuser

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At a cost of maybe $15 per outlet, I thought if I put more plugs, I'd never need an extension cord = safer. Still half of the 12 outlets per circuit when using 5 circuits. Might put dust collector and air compressor in attic, but you're right, I don't need all those plugs in the attic, thank you... I'll nix 4 of them.

Could run romex (or UF) like this- without drilling any holes?:

Wood Sky Beam Hardwood Building material

Or through rafters better - only holes on 1 side across the top, instead of through studs all the way around?
Wood Beam Hardwood Bridge Brickwork

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
Not sure how ambidextrous you are, but unless you can energize tools, etc. from all the receptacles at one time, you have an overkill situation. Fan lights could all be run off a 20 amp circuit. All bench receptacles could be split between two breakers, 20 amp each. You can never have too many receptacles.

If you run conduit between breaker panel and receptacles, use THWN wire rather than trying to run cable, which would be a royal PITA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts