DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is more a question to be posted on the electrical contractor forum because its about codes, but I'm not allowed to register there, because I'm not a professional contractor.... oh well.

Basically what I have here is a very small rental building with 3 units, two of them are efficiencies with tiny, tiny bathrooms. The building has electric heat, and I well understand that sucks and its inefficient, but please bear with me. It is not economically feasible at this point to rip everything out and start over.

My city inspectors have commanded that each bathroom have a heat source.
So here's the problem. The smallest bathroom as you can see here (pictures) is so tiny the toilet is virtually up against the wall. That's the way it came, and what I have to work with.
The sink is currently out, and a small sink is going in as soon as the bathroom is refinished. The top hole is where the medicine cabinet goes.
The bottom hole, by the toilet, is the potential heater mount, and the white grill goes over it.

I fully plan to hire an electrician to wire up the heater, but I have been trying to at least locate and place the heater before the wiring is done.
Here is the only place that could possibly work- the back wall has the water closet and sink, the other wall is the shower.
Any lower, and it would be potentially splashable and any higher, and it wouldn't be effective, as heat rises. In short this looks like the only place I can fathom an electric heater could be placed.

Not up to code?
And if not, then where the heck, and how can I put heat in this bathroom as I am required to- thanks for advice!

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,142 Posts
Does that room even pass code for a bathroom?

Should ask your city inspector about the minimum size, as well as his suggestions on how and where to add heat, as they are the final judge on this.

I would not like to spend my $$ on something that they are going to red flag and demand changes.

And there are baseboard electric heaters.

ED

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they've already looked at the apartments and said all the bathrooms must have heat, so they must think it passes.

The other rooms have baseboards already, I picked up these smaller square fan heaters on purpose for the bathrooms.
Would they be safer?

Any thoughts on having the heater that close to the toilet? Because I can't see any other wall or place it could possibly go. The floor is definitely out and ceiling would be pointless as heat rises.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,142 Posts
The only problem that I foresee is:

Depending on how broad across the beam your tenant is, they might get a "sunburned cheek". :vs_OMG:, an you do not want that liability.

That and if the TP gets too close you have a fire.

Can't a baseboard heater be put underneath behind the toilet and sink?

I know that I have seen some forced air registers behind the sink.

As I suggested your building inspector might be willing to advise you.

I know that my local inspector really enjoys advising, I have had him hang around all day just to be able to get his hands in a job once again.

He is a retired contractor that gets bored sitting around the county offices doing deskwork.

ED

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sure wouldn't pass code here (space between the front of the commode and the wall). Heat/fan assemblies are men at for a temp boost not room heating. I suppose baseboard might work, but it looks like the length would so small the heat output might be sufficient. A small fan forced wall unit is probably the way to go but as others have pointed out its a like close to ones skin while sitting in the command .

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
This is more a question to be posted on the electrical contractor forum because its about codes, but I'm not allowed to register there, because I'm not a professional contractor.... oh well.
Read the DIY disclaimer over there. We know about codes here, and many of us frequent both sites.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
for the heat, Google "electric wall heater panel".
I like this idea. It's a MUCH gentler heat source for such a cramped space. You can also get them for hard wire which is likely what the inspector is looking for.

If not then a ~2' baseboard would do the trick. As already stated, keep it away from towel bars and TP holders.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
The problem with doing a limited floor space is you might not get enough BTU to heat the entire room/space. While warm feet help, you can still get an upper body chill if the room/space doesn't get warm enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.