DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previous owner did a good job remodeling but put in tough to match copper fixtures and accents all over. They spray=painted the handle and knocker copper to match (first pic). I'm getting a new wood door to match this one with high end fixtures and I don't want to spray paint them. BUT...nothing matches copper. Any ideas?

Comparison pictures for some of the door mfr.'s stock options. Not sure which to choose. Antique brass is the closest but not offered on the mortise lock I would prefer..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Look at a Satin Bronze finish.

EDIT: I can find no copper finish in builders hardware, so Bronze is going to be the closest. BHMA finish designation is 612. Finishes can vary between manufacturers. Finish availability for a product can also vary by manufacturer.
Copper and Bronze will age differently. No green patina for bronze, it will just darken.

Reactions: Norm202

·
Registered
703 Posts
Are you trying to match the light?. The light looks fairly new and if it is copper, it will change color in short order.

I really don't think it is necessary for the door hardware to match the light. I say install what you like on the door (I like the darker door hardware). Also, as stated earlier, you could change the light.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Take a look at Emtek locks, they have a french antique finish that, while not copper, might be closer to what you're looking for. Also they have an unlaquered brass finish that will change over time, much like the copper, although I have no personal experience with that finish to know what it will end up looking like. Not to mention tons of options for the lock you really want.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The primary component of bronze is copper (around 80% IIRC). I think you will find bronze provides a pretty good match to copper. Bright finishes (polished) more readily telegraph discoloration when the protective coat gets chipped by rings, etc, which is why I recommend a satin finish.
EDIT: There must be a reason why manufacturers do not offer copper as a finish.

Reactions: RollonRolloff

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All: Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it! So, the french antique brass finish is closer to copper, as you say NickD. As a couple folks mentioned, after some discussion I'm leaning towards a 1.) blackish 2.) bronze. specifically, emtek makes an oil-rubbed bronze that seems to have some copper-ish undertones with mostly black. What do folks think about that?

The wildcard is the porch will be getting replaced too: either a red brick with wrought iron in black (same railing) or a wood with white paint and grey paint or white paint and natural wood (ipe, mahogany) railing and treads. I assume black would still go with either of those options.

I do like the copper light RE: replacing it and it is new in the past couple years from the previous homeowner.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,150 Posts
There is a local "TIN SHOP", here that fabricates many things from sheet copper.

Yes you pay, big time, but you get quality work.

Maybe you can find a fabrication craftsman in your area, to take the hardware, and fabricate new COPPER covers for it.

Removing the covers, and replacing them with copper.

An idea you might want to consider.

ED

·
Registered
291 Posts
I actually have a piece from Emtek, you just reminded me that I have this exact lock in oil-rubbed bronze, and it does have quite the copper undertones, especially in the hammered parts. I no longer live there, which is why it slipped my mind.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Suggest you take a look at how oil-rubbed bronze wears.

The chemical mix used to darken and somewhat "fix" the finish, sits on top and can wear off with heavy use. While Schlage finishes are pretty good, it sounds like the grade of hardware in the blog is residential. Bronze being more expensive than brass, I suspect the knobs in the blog were bronze over a brass base (holds true for the "chip" on the thumblift). I can see that to reduce cost on a lower end product. Bronze over bronze should not exhibit as much yellowing.

Of course, if the only people that use that door will be company or "people that don't know you", wear will probably not be an issue.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bronze being more expensive than brass, I suspect the knobs in the blog were bronze over a brass base (holds true for the "chip" on the thumblift). I can see that to reduce cost on a lower end product. Bronze over bronze should not exhibit as much yellowing.

Of course, if the only people that use that door will be company or "people that don't know you", wear will probably not be an issue.
Oh, god, @GrayHair that's a profound contrast after such a short period. The irony of all this that we actually use the front door about 5% of the time since we have attached garage leading out to an alley--so it would see relatively low use. BUT after 5 or 10 years--the multiplier for lower use-- I still don't want that. If it aged to be mottled, or blended in, that's more what I was expecting. I'm going to have to look at this.

I'm hoping its bronze over bronze, as you say. The products would be either Emtek or Baldwin at this point barring other suggestions (feel free, anyone, to chime in on mortise lock set brands you like. It looks like it will be a mortise at this point because, as I've researched, they seem to have more longevity and be more repairable).

I actually have a piece from Emtek, you just reminded me that I have this exact lock in oil-rubbed bronze, and it does have quite the copper undertones, especially in the hammered parts
@Nickd83 I have touched that same model. Girlfriend is from oak park, IL and loves craftsman. I love it too. I do like that doorknob a lot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.