DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are installing an IKEA butcher block and we started sanding the top coat off so we could put our own sealer on - we noticed one spot that actually looks like a veneer is coming up. Any solutions to glue this down/fill w wood filler/solidify before sealer goes on??
You can feel this 3/4"square spot lifting when you press on it and we don't want it to wear over time after we seal it

Attachments

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Its does not appear to be a veneer. It looks more like they cut that section incorrectly when it was being milled or there was a defect in the wood already.

Easiest thing to do would be to fill that area with a good epoxy wood filler and then sand it down. That will bond that area and deter further lift and the stain/sealer will take to it like wood.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the reply. We looked for "epoxy" wood filler and could only find regular wood filler. Called Lee Valley and they said they have a 2-part substance that might work -- mix the two parts together and make a putty.
I'm hesitant just because I want it to match the Colour of the existing wood and absorb the sealer in the same fashion.
Any brand names you could recommend? And/or stores I can check out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.