DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
In Rochester, NY, as a home owner you can remove anything you want to from your own home. That's what I was told word for word by the inspector at my last house.

If you're worried about safety, you can also just seal it in place.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Practically everywhere in the U. S. you can remove asbestos from your own home. No one elses unless you are licensed. The problem you have is transport and disposal. It is a crime to improperly transport the stuff and it is highly punishable to improperly dispose of it. That's the catch. It is very good insulation. If you can leave it in place and encaspulate it, that is a much cheaper and safer option. Pipe insulation is highly friable and it is easy to contaminate a large area with a high volume of fibers. If you do remove it, you'll need to have somebody do proper disposal.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
There are numerous landfills in the U.S. that will accept asbestos containing waste, you just have to pay the tipping fee. It is illegal to dispose of asbestos containing material (acm) at a landfill not licensed to accept acm. It is also illegal to put acm out on the curb for pickup by your local trash collector, even if you label it. Unfortunately, that is how some people elect to get rid of it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That definitely looks like asbstos. Get the pros to deal with it, if you do it yourself & get it wrong, the dust contamination could cost HUGE amounts of money to have cleaned up. I have experience in dealing with this stuff, its definitely not a job to DIY.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I have one company coming tomorrow and two coming the day after to provide estimates for abatement.

My coworker had abatement done in 1999 and he said the whole home was ~$4k. I only need less than 20ft of boiler pipe insulation removed.

I had the homeowner remove about 6ft from a pipe and it cost here $3.3k. Crazy.

I'll let you all know what they say. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok so I had two companies so far come in and prove quotes. I will see a third in a little over 2 hours from now.

The difference in price is shocking to me. My expectation was anywhere from $5k to $10k (which I was dreading) based on online reports, etc.

Company 1 Quote: ~$2.7k
Company 2 Quote: $8.9k

What is with the large difference in price here? They both say that they use bag gloves. The former states that if it is hard to reach they do wet then bulk removal but everything else bag gloves. The former does not have a website but has all the insurances with the local build & codes office (they seem to know who the company is) and was recommended by a different environmental place that does the air monitoring. These prices does not include air monitoring due to the state requiring that the abatement company not do the monitoring and have the home owner get someone else. I guess that is for protection.

If the third quote is high like the second do you all see any issues going with the first quote? I questioned the guy and he is knowledgeable. Explained and answered every question.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. The work includes probably 26 linear ft/pipe of boiler piping insulation. There is about 4 pipes. They will remove sheet rock to get to all the piping.

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
That is a HUGE difference for the exact same work. You might consider getting four estimates to see which end of the spectrum you're being hit on. The high might be way out of wack, not the low. Who knows.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That is a HUGE difference for the exact same work. You might consider getting four estimates to see which end of the spectrum you're being hit on. The high might be way out of wack, not the low. Who knows.
So if this third comes in high then there are issues with the low quote? What questions would you ask yourself?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok so I just met with another company. They also were knowledgable and the owner came out to do the estimate. Very talkative.

He said he would be comfortable quoting the job for $2600 but he was the only that stated that there might be additional pipes with asbestos running through a large portion of the ceiling branching of the 4 25ft of piping. He proposes having a total $3k total for everything just in case. So extra $400.

Still waiting on the quote but if it's what he said I think I'm going with them. I have no idea what company 2 is think with $8.9k.

I'm glad this didn't cost around $5k.

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
management said:
So if this third comes in high then there are issues with the low quote? What questions would you ask yourself?
What would I ask myself? If they have all of the certifications and insurance they claim to. If they dispose of the waste properly. Where they are cutting corners.

If multiple estimates are three times more than the lowest then something probably isn't right. That's not a "hard and fast" rule of course, but when you're messing with very dangerous stuff like disturbed asbestos I'd be concerned.

When I have work estimated and all three are within 10 - 15 percent of each other that's one thing. But three times more or less than half? Something isnt quite right. There is always the possibility of them quoting the work but not really wanting it, which happens as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That's for the comments. I think your right .... Company 2 probably didn't want to do it hence the almost 3x price difference between the two companies.

According to the Building and Codes office at city hall they all have their certifications, etc.

Still waiting on the formal quote from company 3 but I think I'm going with them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I ended up going with company three at a cost of $2600 before tax. The passed their air quality tests but from what I understand they didn't stirrup any air in the work area. They guy stated that they don't do that.

Is that normal?

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
Moving around in the area "stirs up air"

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
I ended up going with company three at a cost of $2600 before tax. The passed their air quality tests but from what I understand they didn't stirrup any air in the work area. They guy stated that they don't do that.

Is that normal?
If they glove bagged the pipe runs and removed it properly, there should be no measurable fibers in the air. That would be normal for a reputable company.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts