DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Identify skylight for replacement glass

1576 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  activa
Several years ago a contractor replaced some skylights in my home. The outer insulated glass panel has shattered on one of them and I would like to replace the insulated panel.

I have looked over the entire inside and exterior of the skylights, and I cannot find ANY identifying information, and I cannot figure out how to remove the panel.

The only thing I noticed about it is there are three plugs on each side of the interior sides. I have posted a pic of the side with a plug removed, but there isn't anything in there that looks like it's keeping the window together.

There MUST be a way to replace the panel without completely removing the entire skylight, flashing and all... but for the life of me, I can't figure it out!

Any one know what brand of skylight it is, or how it comes apart?

See less See more
1 - 2 of 3 Posts
So there's no info or connectors on the outside of the window, but a contractor friend stopped by and found the Andersen logo etched on the corner. It's an SKS 2857 "snap-in sash." The clips visible in the holes as pictured above are metal clips that lock the sash in. I was able to get the window out after wrestling with the clips and slicing through the caulk.

That's the good news--the bad news is the sash assembly is $540--a bit ridiculous IMHO. SO I'm going to try and break the sash frame apart (it's fiberglass cemented together) and have a local company make the glass, then reassemble and epoxy the stupid thing together.
1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.