DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For extreme cold temperatures, has anyone tried to Plumb hot water through cold water lines to prevent freezing? (And a trickle of water flow of course) Other ideas to stop freezing without using heating tape? (I'm worried about fire)

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,422 Posts
We need information, before we can advise you what to do.

Where are these pipes, kind of space, air leaks, available power supply, and many other factors.

ED

·
retired painter
11,583 Posts
I have a length of heat tape where my water line first enters my crawlspace that has been in service for 25+ yrs - no issues. In the past I have had heat tape burn up but never had any catch on fire.

When/where feasible insulation is best.

·
Red Seal Electrician
657 Posts
My floor insulation was never good, and was constantly busting into it for plumbing and electrical work. I decided it made more sense to tighten up the crawlspace perimeter and insulate it. I have enough heat from my woodstove, and air leakage with forced-air ducting that the crawlspace stays above freezing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you have an unvented, insulated crawlspace, it would be advisable to install a couple of heat registers down there. You could also install a remote thermometer to alert you when the crawlspace temperature is approaching freezing,

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Just leave the hot and cold water running. Even cold water lines won't freeze if there's water running through them.

·
Usually Confused
7,791 Posts
For extreme cold temperatures, has anyone tried to Plumb hot water through cold water lines to prevent freezing? (And a trickle of water flow of course) Other ideas to stop freezing without using heating tape? (I'm worried about fire)
You mean like co-axially? I don't know how you would handle a watertight transition. As others have mentioned, insulation and pipe location is key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts