DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced a hot water tank in my home who's TPR pipe was never vented properly from the day I bought the place. The TPR drain just went down and into the crawlspace.
I've since replaced the HWT, and installed a expansion tank and drain pan in the same location which is located in a coat closet off the living room. There is no easy access to an exterior wall for the TPR valve or the drip pan drain to go.

What can I do in a situation like this???

The one idea I have is to install a 2" or greater floor drain in the closet which would tie into the houses main discharge pipe in the crawl space (via a p-trap obviously). I could then route the TPR and drip pan pipe into the floor drain.

Is this making sense?
Is that legal?
From what I understand, the important thing is; unless they drain to the outside, the discharge pipes from the tank have to have an air-gap before going into a floor.

again, I do not have easy access to an exterior wall from this current location but in the DWV lines in the crawlspace are close by.

·
Plumber
3 Posts
The T&P valve has to proceed outside 6 inches above the ground level to be legal at least in arizona anyways, check your state codes. And the drain pan you can have it drop down to drain underneath house . The water heater pan is only for emergencies if water heater breaks so it's not like you're going to have water running constantly. You could check in with the city inspector office and see if you can put in some kind of floor sink drain which they may allow, to drain the T&P valve and your water heater pan.

·
Registered
14,603 Posts
If I'm understanding this right, the p-trap could dry and allow gas into the closet.

I have an A/C evaporator drain tied into the sewer and my installer's last words were " when not in use in the winter months try to remember to add about a pint of water about every month ". Out of site - out of mind, that's difficult to remember.

·
Plumber
3 Posts
They have a trap that you can put a half inch line into side of it with a male adapter and it would go up and you would hook a trap primer to it that way it drips water into the trap so it never goes dry. you would have to tap into the cold side at the water heater put in a three-quarter by half T and run it down to trap primer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.