DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

81 - 100 of 177 Posts

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
Width of slide at top is 2 feet. A couple of questions.

1. Can we finalize the design including the deck and supports?

2. The 3-4-5 you showed in the picture. Does this go around the blocks or around the legs?

3. Wouldn't using a long 4x4 be difficult to work with? Wouldn't it be easier to build using 5.5 feet 4x4 until the platform and then 2x4 above that for the actual railings on the platform?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
1. it is just to get the third one square to the first two so as long as you are looking at the same line on all three block,
The block i posted a picture of has metal buckets, I would just go to the side of those.
When you buy lumber you want by about 12 cheap construction grade 1x4 to use for temp bracing and it is actually easier with the tall posts so the temp bracing is high out of the way when you build the deck.
They are not that hard to deal with I have stud a 14 fi 6x6 by myself more than a few times. .
It is difficult to get 5 of the blocks exactly level so we stand them full height and cut the tops off toward the end of the build.
Your choice tall posts or short posts with 2x4 for railing?
I will figure out the placement of the other 2 blocks,

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
1. it is just to get the third one square to the first two so as long as you are looking at the same line on all three block,
The block i posted a picture of has metal buckets, I would just go to the side of those.
When you buy lumber you want by about 12 cheap construction grade 1x4 to use for temp bracing and it is actually easier with the tall posts so the temp bracing is high out of the way when you build the deck.
They are not that hard to deal with I have stud a 14 fi 6x6 by myself more than a few times. .
It is difficult to get 5 of the blocks exactly level so we stand them full height and cut the tops off toward the end of the build.
Your choice tall posts or short posts with 2x4 for railing?
I will figure out the placement of the other 2 blocks,
So personally let's go with short 5.5 feet 4x4s and 2x4s on top for railing. Can you give me a design for this? What are the metal buckets for? Can you share a link?

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
So personally let's go with short 5.5 feet 4x4s and 2x4s on top for railing. Can you give me a design for this? What are the metal buckets for? Can you share a link?

They hold the 4x4 with 4 galvanized nails. I posts a picture earlier the bucket is the metal part on top.
We can go with shorter post no problem.
I am working on a plan.

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
Wouldn't I need equal size side support pieces. One seems to be 3 feet and other 4 feet.

They will be level on top so you don't have to work for a week trying to get 5 pier blocks level with each other.
we can pre cut them , we will be be screwing the frame to the posts, so we can just use the tallest one to level from .
The actual height is figured after you set the blocks, if they are sticking out of the ground we would subtract that from the height of the post.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
They will be level on top so you don't have to work for a week trying to get 5 pier blocks level with each other.
we can pre cut them , we will be be screwing the frame to the posts, so we can just use the tallest one to level from .
The actual height is figured after you set the blocks, if they are sticking out of the ground we would subtract that from the height of the post.
The most difficult in this build is going to be setting the two 4x4s on top of the blocks and adding diagonal bracing and making them stand and try to repeat until I get to 5.

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
The most difficult in this build is going to be setting the two 4x4s on top of the blocks and adding diagonal bracing and making them stand and try to repeat until I get to 5.

I will help you with that, there are tricks .

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
Thank you.

This is a rough drawing of what it would look like when it is ready for decking.
With a material list. We can look at decking, railing and ladder later.
Treated wood is best used when it is fresh and wet or it drys in funny shapes.
You may better to just buy what you need to get the blocks in first.

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
Thank you. Is it common to find the concrete with metal buckets?

They were on the Home depot site that i tried to link.
There is another style that has a hole for a 4x4 to stand, they work but there is no way to lock the legs down.
wind can lift things.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
This is a rough drawing of what it would look like when it is ready for decking.
With a material list. We can look at decking, railing and ladder later.
Treated wood is best used when it is fresh and wet or it drys in funny shapes.
You may better to just buy what you need to get the blocks in first.
View attachment 634378
Looking forward to the design. I just don't know if I can find the concrete block with the metal supports. A couple of questions.

1. Can slide be placed on ground like swing? What is the purpose of gravel?

2. I am worried if legs may come off the concrete block when they slide. Are any of these what you are referring to? The first one is not in stock. Will second one do?

3. I do not see any parts list for the platform itself like deck boards, railings etc. Should I buy the parts or wait for platform and deck parts too?

4. Since the 4x4 will be on concrete block do I need 6 feet or could I do 5 feet?

5. What is 3 Zmax galvanized 2x6 hangers and where do we use them?

6. Why is the hot tip galvanized 1 1/2 inch hanger nails for and can I use screws instead of nails in all construction?

7. Does all lumber need to be pressure treated?

I added all your parts to cart. Most parts are from home depot and some from lowes. The total part costs come to about $310. Is there any way to minimize the cost and are the parts correct?

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
1 the block is a bigger foot print and the gravel is so you have a solid base so they don't sink into the dirt.
If one leg of you swing sings into the dirt, the top beam can twist a little and compensate for that.
With a deck you want it stiff when built and stay stiff over time.
2. It will work, if that is all you can get.
3. I did not include that stuff, we had not talked about it.
4. It will depend on how level the ground is and how deep or high the blocks end up
And if you use blocks where the post goes in the block you would add it back some height.
A hanger holds up a joist, Zmax is the type that is used with treated wood, so they don't rust.
We only need 3 because in most places the joists are also screwed to the posts.
1606068132795.png 1606068279499.png

6.In some places screws are allowed but not where i am so I can't tell you with to use for the hanger.
They have to be good with treated lumber and no more that 1 1/2" long. Maybe stainless steel.
7 yes everything is treated lumber, You could go with a cedar but that would be a lot more money I think.
8 Construction grade 1x4 does not need to be treated or great lumber, it is just waste when all is built.
The posts are right You have no choice for those.
The 2x4s and 2x6 should be regular treated, ground treated has some nasty stuff in it.
The prices are nuts, more than double from a year ago, you may do better if you put this off for one year?
Do you have a landscape yard or something, the gravel is way to expensive like that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
1 the block is a bigger foot print and the gravel is so you have a solid base so they don't sink into the dirt.
If one leg of you swing sings into the dirt, the top beam can twist a little and compensate for that.
With a deck you want it stiff when built and stay stiff over time.
2. It will work, if that is all you can get.
3. I did not include that stuff, we had not talked about it.
4. It will depend on how level the ground is and how deep or high the blocks end up
And if you use blocks where the post goes in the block you would add it back some height.
A hanger holds up a joist, Zmax is the type that is used with treated wood, so they don't rust.
We only need 3 because in most places the joists are also screwed to the posts.
View attachment 634412 View attachment 634413

6.In some places screws are allowed but not where i am so I can't tell you with to use for the hanger.
They have to be good with treated lumber and no more that 1 1/2" long. Maybe stainless steel.
7 yes everything is treated lumber, You could go with a cedar but that would be a lot more money I think.
8 Construction grade 1x4 does not need to be treated or great lumber, it is just waste when all is built.
The posts are right You have no choice for those.
The 2x4s and 2x6 should be regular treated, ground treated has some nasty stuff in it.
The prices are nuts, more than double from a year ago, you may do better if you put this off for one year?
Do you have a landscape yard or something, the gravel is way to expensive like that.
Ok thanks for the clarification. I don't have a landscape yard. Were you thinking a cheaper gravel? And can you also let me know about the top part so that I can factor in cost for that? Based on how the total turns out I will need to make a decision. Are you ok with the parts list I sent?

·
retired framer
39,817 Posts
Ok thanks for the clarification. I don't have a landscape yard. Were you thinking a cheaper gravel? And can you also let me know about the top part so that I can factor in cost for that? Based on how the total turns out I will need to make a decision. Are you ok with the parts list I sent?

What ever decking you would like treated lumber or something better. The deck is 25 square feet but the amount to order can change as not all work out for a 5 foot length. Composite decking is mostly available in 12 ft length so that would have less than 5 usable square feet.
Do some google searches for deck railing and see what you are liking. And I am not sure how high the railing should be for kids. ,
Your list was fine except for the price of the gravel
and the 1x4 can be a much cheaper product but I can't find anything on line

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
What ever decking you would like treated lumber or something better. The deck is 25 square feet but the amount to order can change as not all work out for a 5 foot length. Composite decking is mostly available in 12 ft length so that would have less than 5 usable square feet.
Do some google searches for deck railing and see what you are liking. And I am not sure how high the railing should be for kids. ,
Your list was fine except for the price of the gravel
and the 1x4 can be a much cheaper product but I can't find anything on line
Is it just decking cost? What about railing for the deck all around and ladder to get onto the deck?

81 - 100 of 177 Posts