DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

61 - 80 of 177 Posts

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
Can you give me details on how to do this? This will meet my need.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Before we get into that. have you thought about hand railing, I am a little reluctant to having the one side open to the climbing wall?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
You said the main posts have no concrete, are they in the ground or just sitting on the ground and do they move some when the swings are used?
They are sitting on the ground but they don't move along a lot given that the overall thing weighs quite a lot. Is that a concern? Would you propose I build a separate structure without coupling to the swing set, as in a separate 4 legged structure? I am perfectly ok doing that if this complicates things.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
They are sitting on the ground but they don't move along a lot given that the overall thing weighs quite a lot. Is that a concern? Would you propose I build a separate structure without coupling to the swing set, as in a separate 4 legged structure? I am perfectly ok doing that if this complicates things.

Can you draw a sketch from above showing the frame of the swing and the trees. I have another idea?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Can you draw a sketch from above showing the frame of the swing and the trees. I have another idea?
Are you asking for a picture from above? I won't be able to reach above the top horizontal 4x4 from which the swings hang.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
Are you asking for a picture from above? I won't be able to reach above the top horizontal 4x4 from which the swings hang.

No I was thinking you good draw something.
I found this picture, Kids like the feel of a tree fort.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
No I was thinking you good draw something.
I found this picture, Kids like the feel of a tree fort.
View attachment 634206
I am happy to go with whatever design you suggest. I had rather not have around the tree. Just let me know if I should extend from the current structure or construct a new one. Whichever way we go some kind of diagram will be helpful. You asked if the current structure is anchored to the ground and I said no. If this means adding a new structure with 4 legs I could do that.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
I am happy to go with whatever design you suggest. I had rather not have around the tree. Just let me know if I should extend from the current structure or construct a new one. Whichever way we go some kind of diagram will be helpful. You asked if the current structure is anchored to the ground and I said no. If this means adding a new structure with 4 legs I could do that.

free standing is likely better. how big would you like it?
Can we turn it so it points between the tree or do you still want the 45 or maybe just pick another area.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
free standing is likely better. how big would you like it?
Can we turn it so it points between the tree or do you still want the 45 or maybe just pick another area.
Hello - yes let's do a free standing structure. Let's make it on 4 legs and about 5.5 feet tall to the platform. On the platform let's make it like a deck which has support on all sides. For the slide I still would like it at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yes something like this but I have a few questions. Between the end of the swing set and the next tree I have 7 feet. So I am thinking this structure could be 4-5 feet wide.

1. Where you said concrete blocks are you saying I need to pour concrete or put the 4x4s on concrete blocks?

2. Do I have to notch the 4x4 to accommodate the 2x6? Cant it just go over it? I don't have a notching tool. Also previously you sais 4x6. Had that changed?

3. The platform needs four posts so that I can construct a deck. I see you have a 2x4 at each corner. Would it be better to just get the 4x4s for a height of say 10 feet where 5.5 feet will be between the ground and platform and then it extends up for the four corners of the platform? Or will this be too difficult to work with?

4. The point of attachment of the 2x4 to the 4x4 seems a weak point as it does not extend all the way to the ground. Does it need to run all the way down?

5. I see a cross brace. Wouldn't two cross braces be needed on each side?

6. Should one side not have a cross brace and just have a ladder?

7. How is the top deck built?

8. Where should I give the 45 degree angle for the slide?

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
Yes something like this but I have a few questions. Between the end of the swing set and the next tree I have 7 feet. So I am thinking this structure could be 4-5 feet wide.

1. Where you said concrete blocks are you saying I need to pour concrete or put the 4x4s on concrete blocks?

2. Do I have to notch the 4x4 to accommodate the 2x6? Cant it just go over it? I don't have a notching tool. Also previously you sais 4x6. Had that changed?

3. The platform needs four posts so that I can construct a deck. I see you have a 2x4 at each corner. Would it be better to just get the 4x4s for a height of say 10 feet where 5.5 feet will be between the ground and platform and then it extends up for the four corners of the platform? Or will this be too difficult to work with?

4. The point of attachment of the 2x4 to the 4x4 seems a weak point as it does not extend all the way to the ground. Does it need to run all the way down?

5. I see a cross brace. Wouldn't two cross braces be needed on each side?

6. Should one side not have a cross brace and just have a ladder?

7. How is the top deck built?

8. Where should I give the 45 degree angle for the slide?

I did that for an idea of the design. For the 45 it will take 5 posts.And I will need to know the width of the slide at the top.
1. Concrete blocks 5
2. The 4x6 was to use the stiffness of the other frame with out that we have to do the cross bracing and the 2x6s will do.
3. & 4. notched is the strongest but we can bolt it together if you prefer.
5. the deck it self is the second brace, believe, you see. When you see 2 braces that is for the look not function.
6. all sides need bracing. the ladder adds nothing for sideways movement.
7 & 8
the brown lines are the 2x6 deck frame and joists

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The landing place for the slide does not have to be level with the feet of the deck.
So the height of the deck is dictated by the height of the slide and the landing spot for the slide.
View attachment 634297
I don't see the 2x4s for railing in this pic. Did they get dropped out? How should I construct the platform above? Also the concrete block link you placed doesnt open up the page?

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
I don't see the 2x4s for railing in this pic. Did they get dropped out? How should I construct the platform above? Also the concrete block link you placed doesnt open up the page?

Yes I went with the tall 4x4s

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts

For each of the pier blocks you will want about 1 cubic foot of compactable gravel
We want the pier block to be 1/2 in the ground sitting on gravel.
We usually just use the end of the 4x4 to pound the gravel down and tighten it up.
You want them sitting on grave with a little room around them so when we check things for square they can move a little before you back fill around them.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
This is how you set the blocks. the first three.
With 2 straight boards tacked together at the corner with some care in measuring you can use 3,4,5 to prove that the 3rd on is square to the first two.
I need to know how wide the slide is at the top?
View attachment 634338

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
This is how you set the blocks. the first three.
With 2 straight boards tacked together at the corner with some care in measuring you can use 3,4,5 to prove that the 3rd on is square to the first two.
I need to know how wide the slide is at the top?
View attachment 634338
Width of slide at top is 2 feet. A couple of questions.

1. Can we finalize the design including the deck and supports?

2. The 3-4-5 you showed in the picture. Does this go around the blocks or around the legs?

3. Wouldn't using a long 4x4 be difficult to work with? Wouldn't it be easier to build using 5.5 feet 4x4 until the platform and then 2x4 above that for the actual railings on the platform?

61 - 80 of 177 Posts