DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry, I have been thinking a simple A frame with ladder on one side and slide on the other.
Your last picture looks like a square platform. That will take some more consideration to make that ridged
with railings.
If the attached is what you are talking about I am fine with this as well. Wouldn't this need a platform too?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
If the attached is what you are talking about I am fine with this as well. Wouldn't this need a platform too?

Yes, I thought we moved away from that thought.
Are your swing legs set in concrete?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes, I thought we moved away from that thought.
Are your swing legs set in concrete?
They are not set in concrete. I am ok to go whichever way you think I should do this. So feel free to give me what you think is the right approach. The only thing to factor is is the slide will be at 45 degree on the platform because if I put it straight we have a tree right in front. See picture attached with red circle. I would like the slide at 45 degree so that it escapes the tree.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
They are not set in concrete. I am ok to go whichever way you think I should do this. So feel free to give me what you think is the right approach. The only thing to factor is is the slide will be at 45 degree on the platform because if I put it straight we have a tree right in front. See picture attached with red circle. I would like the slide at 45 degree so that it escapes the tree.

Give me a bit to think about it.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts

When you measure up 5 1/2 ft how deep it the frame front to back ,How wide would a deck be across there?

I don't like the angle in because little ones will short cut thru the swing area to the ladder is a ladder on the side of the deck might be better than at the back.
In this one I have put in two 4x6 beams with a simple cross braced frame on the other end
And floor joists above to make the deck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
When you measure up 5 1/2 ft how deep it the frame front to back ,How wide would a deck be across there?

I don't like the angle in because little ones will short cut thru the swing area to the ladder is a ladder on the side of the deck might be better than at the back.
In this one I have put in two 4x6 beams with a simple cross braced frame on the other end
And floor joists above to make the deck
View attachment 634000
46 inches.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So that would allow 1 ft overhang. if the deck was 2 ft wide that would turn it 22 1/2 degrees, would that get you by the tree.
View attachment 634004
Isn't 46 inches less than 4 feet? I see in the pic you have deck 4 feet plus another 1 feet overhang on each side. Also what does 22 degree mean in this context?

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
Isn't 46 inches less than 4 feet? I see in the pic you have deck 4 feet plus another 1 feet overhang on each side. Also what does 22 degree mean in this context?

46" plus the 4x6 beam you would put on the front and back .
You are allowed to cantilever 1/4 the distance from the face of the front beam to the front face of the back beam
50/4= 12 1/2" cantilever.
You said you wanted it to turn in 45 degrees, this would give you half of that 22 1/2 degrees.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
46" plus the 4x6 beam you would put on the front and back .
You are allowed to cantilever 1/4 the distance from the face of the front beam to the front face of the back beam
50/4= 12 1/2" cantilever.
You said you wanted it to turn in 45 degrees, this would give you half of that 22 1/2 degrees.
Any thoughts @Nealtw

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Will that get past the tree.
I am not quite sure I follow the cantilever part. Help me understand so that I am on same page as you.

1. Attached front 4x6 to the front leg with the lag bolt going through the 4 inch side
2. Do the same for the back leg
3. After adding #1 and #2 total distance between front of front beam to back of back beam will be 54 inches (46 inches plus 4 inches on front and 4 inches on back)

I am not sure I understand the cantilever and angle part.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
I am not quite sure I follow the cantilever part. Help me understand so that I am on same page as you.

1. Attached front 4x6 to the front leg with the lag bolt going through the 4 inch side
2. Do the same for the back leg
3. After adding #1 and #2 total distance between front of front beam to back of back beam will be 54 inches (46 inches plus 4 inches on front and 4 inches on back)

I am not sure I understand the cantilever and angle part.

I have been trying to figure out how to get around your tree? You said you want 45 degree, will 22 1/2 degrees work?

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
This picture shows the two trees and the angle where I want to place the slide. The distance between the legs of the current structure to the end point where I could end the platform is 7 feet.

Sooner or later we will get on the same page.
Confirm that is will work or not.

·
retired framer
39,820 Posts
Thank you for your patience in educating me. I have just made a small change in red. The slide should be at an angle as shown so that it can go between the two trees.

More like his with 3 upright posts?

41 - 60 of 177 Posts