DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to construct a platform to put a slide in my backyard. Can someone point me to how I would construct the platform? I was thinking of four 4x4s which are joined by bracing and then a deckboard layer on top but am interested in some ideas or pictures if you may have.

I have added pics of the slide and of the swing set I already built with rock climbing. My intent would be to construct a deck for a slide as a separate one on the side of this and remove the rock climbing from the swing and move it as one of the sides of the deck so that they have one more way to climb up and also saves on some wood. I do realize on a 5 foot deck it's probably going to be smaller in height compared to what I currently have for rock climbing but that's ok. I am thinking one side could have a ladder and other side could have rock climbing to climb up.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
39,816 Posts
I need to construct a platform to put a slide in my backyard. Can someone point me to how I would construct the platform? I was thinking of four 4x4s which are joined by bracing and then a deckboard layer on top but am interested in some ideas or pictures if you may have.

Are you looking for a small platform with a slide or just s ladder to the slide.
How big would the platform be and how high are you thinking.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes something like that but a bit simpler with not too much overhang outside the deck. I already have a swing set so I don't need to build anything else on the side. I may just repurpose one side into a rock climbing wall. One more way for them to climb up.

·
retired framer
39,816 Posts
Yes something like that but a bit simpler with not too much overhang outside the deck. I already have a swing set so I don't need to build anything else on the side. I may just repurpose one side into a rock climbing wall. One more way for them to climb up.

Post a picture of the rock climb, that sounds interesting.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe just another A frame 30" from the other end
View attachment 633698
Unfortunately I cannot do that. If you look at the picture below you will see that the type of joint I used to connect the two legs to the top bar makes them go at an angle. Also the joint completely envelopes the two legs and the top bar. So attaching anything to this is probably not possible. That's why a separate platform may be an easier endeavor.

·
retired framer
39,816 Posts
Instead of attaching wood at the top, can it be done something like this? Because at the top to extend the existing a frame I may have an issue securing it to the end cap.

That would work too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would work too.
Ok. I thought about lagbolting at the top but as you see in the picture the bracket goes all around so I cannot do it. Now if we decide to go the route of the half height platform as shown in the second picture below, could you perhaps show me a diagram of how I would go about constructing that? As in do I just add another 2x6 to both of the current legs and at the end of it att two legs to mimic the A? Would I be able take out the rock climbing wall halfway and add deck boards for the platform?

·
retired framer
39,816 Posts
If you use a 4x6 for the top where it joins to the big frame i would notch it so it fit both angles and stay straight and level.
On the other end cut 4x4 to fit like rafters and bolt them together much like a saw horse.
If the top beam is about 4 ft long and you cut an extra like the far end you could make you lader with a space to the climbing wall

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you use a 4x6 for the top where it joins to the big frame i would notch it so it fit both angles and stay straight and level.
On the other end cut 4x4 to fit like rafters and bolt them together much like a saw horse.
If the top beam is about 4 ft long and you cut an extra like the far end you could make you lader with a space to the climbing wall
View attachment 633705
Thank you. I will try it.

·
Hammered Thumb
2,962 Posts
Since your end A frames are slanted, I personally would not want a platform framing into those, as it may stress the top brackets and lags into the wood. It looks like there is plenty of room next to the swing, so I would build it in-between the A frames. The new A frame for the slide platform would be plumb vertically, so no pushing side to side against the outer A frames. The climbing wall I would move to the back, slide and ladder on the front.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts