DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 40 yrs ago the original owner of my home (a retired electrician) ran a rigid alum conduit (1.5 in I think) 150ish feet to the back yard for a workshop, which never happened.
To this day 3 lines of 6ga EDIT copper (THHN I believe) (anaconda type THW) rest in the conduit undisturbed.
I have zero use for any electric to go there (been here myself for 28yrs.
It goes to my main panel box but is not hooked up.

Should I continue to ignore it, let it sit there?
Perhaps (if possible) pull the cables back out of the conduit and use for what?
Or any other useful options?

It's not in my way, nor has it ever been in my way. Conduit would remain in any case.

Ideas/suggestions?
Yes I'm bored today, and it just bothers me that it just sits there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim Port and Jim_Bee I just did some research and at aprox $1.50 per lb of THHN 6ga with insulation still on and the weight per foot @ .109 lb per foot, 450 ft would weigh about 50lb.
Which would be about $75 to scrap it.
More work and running around that I would like for just $75. IF I figured that all correctly that is.
For that amount of $ it can just remain there.

Is the Wire once pulled still usable? 43 yrs old and all, if the insulation doesn't get damaged?
Granted it may be cracked from age too, idk.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Not concerned about useability for the wire except that age is about when wire insulation went from THW to THHN. Not that it is unusable, just not as good as today's wire. Is the wire covering glossy (THHN) or dull?

·
Licenced Electrician
1,924 Posts
Buried 40yo aluminum conduit may or may not be serviceable depending on a variety of conditions. Just letting you know before you make too many plans.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buried 40yo aluminum conduit may or may not be serviceable depending on a variety of conditions. Just letting you know before you make too many plans.
Ah I forgot to mention that it is Copper 6ga wire. I will revise the original post.

EDIT... just realized you said conduit... Do you mean that the conduit is now faulty in place and may be dangerous to use?
Or as a dig it up and reuse it sort of thing ( I would never dig it up btw.)

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
If the wire is really THHN then it can't be used. It is unpredictable whether or when it would biodegrade or become waterlogged. Underground conduit is officially a wet location and you need waterproof wiring such as THWN.

If the wire is really THHN then nothing to lose by yanking (or trying to yank) it out.

Once you get it out you can use it elsewhere (in dry locationconduit) if it is still in good shape.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not concerned about useability for the wire except that age is about when wire insulation went from THW to THHN. Not that it is unusable, just not as good as today's wire. Is the wire covering glossy (THHN) or dull?
I believe it is dull from memory I will go and check it again.

It apparently is NOT Thhn, it says Anaconda type THW 6ga.
I will alter the original post.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the wire is really THHN then it can't be used. It is unpredictable whether or when it would biodegrade or become waterlogged. Underground conduit is officially a wet location and you need waterproof wiring such as THWN.

If the wire is really THHN then nothing to lose by yanking (or trying to yank) it out.
It is actually anaconda type THW 6ga.

I have altered the main posting. It took me a bit to find a section showing an unfaded listing, Showing thw.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,924 Posts
Ah I forgot to mention that it is Copper 6ga wire. I will revise the original post.

EDIT... just realized you said conduit... Do you mean that the conduit is now faulty in place and may be dangerous to use?
Or as a dig it up and reuse it sort of thing ( I would never dig it up btw.)
Depending on soil conditions, how it was installed, etc aluminum conduit can deteriorate over time. It is touted as "corrosion resistant" for many applications but has been known to fail under certain conditions.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depending on soil conditions, how it was installed, etc aluminum conduit can deteriorate over time. It is touted as "corrosion resistant" for many applications but has been known to fail under certain conditions.
I didn't know that, it would seem alkali soil is a main culprit with aluminum.
Considering this is TN, and we are all limestone, it well may after 40 ish yrs have diminished it's usefulness.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,628 Posts
It's costing you nothing, doesn't interfere with your home maintenance and will take labor to remove and cap off.

Are you bored?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's costing you nothing, doesn't interfere with your home maintenance and will take labor to remove and cap off.

Are you bored?
Ummmm, yes as I said in my original posting ;)
I guess I will go on ignoring it for another 28 yrs. Hopefully.

Reactions: Domo

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,628 Posts
Ummmm, yes as I said in my original posting ;)
I guess I will go on ignoring it for another 28 yrs. Hopefully.
I'll share a beer with you on that anniversary!

And, may that wire remain your largest problem! - Stay well.

Reactions: Steve2444

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll share a beer with you on that anniversary!

And, may that wire remain your largest problem! - Stay well.
Thanks and stay well yourself (y)

Looking forward to the Beer.

Reactions: Domo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts