DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Do you think the roof has done this all its life or just since the new shingles got installed? I dont think someone would have put up with this problem for 30+ years.

Did you see the old roof before the new roof was put on?

What shape was the old roof in?

Was the old roof competely torn off or did the owner go over top?

Do you see any repair areas in the drywall where it is currently leaking now?

Did the previous owner provide you with a disclosure sheet on the condition of the house?

Are there any mold areas in the attic that would indicate that the leaks where there prior to your purchase of the home?

Is there new wood installed on the roof where it is now leaking?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
1) No I did not see the old roof prior to the new roof being installed. I believe this roof is about 3 years old now.

2) I'd have to say the old roof was the original so it was about 30 years old.

3) Yes the old roof was completely torn off because there is only one layer now.

4) The drywall all looks fine in the house and there seems to be no repairs made anywhere.

5) The owner did not provide us with any disclosure.

6) There seems to be no sign of mold at all anywhere that I can see but I havent exactly crawled down in the attic to get a close look at the eaves seeing theres not much room there.

7) From what I can see from the attic all the roof sheathing seems to be original to the house.

By answering those questions i'd have to assume the original owners didnt have the same problem i'm having. Years ago before the ice block was put into service didnt roofers used to just flip the 1st course of shingles and then start shingling over the top of that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another thing i'd like to add that my dad had noticed. The new shingles are architectural shingles and he noticed that the shingles were nailed BELOW the tar strips. He always had placed the nails above the tar strips. He thought that I may end up having to apply roofing tar over every nail head. He claims the nails are only about 1" up under the preceeding course of shingles.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts