DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , I have a question regarding the constructruction of a new residence foundation. I have got quotes to construct with ICF and also as a standard wall. I do know that ICF has definite avantages over standard wall.But the cost difference is quite large and I am wondering it if it is worth the extra cost. If I choose the standard (less expensive) method and have the interior concrete insulated with urathane spray foam (R 12). I can recoup a savings of 10K (including spray) over the cost of an ICF foundation.
What is your opinion on which way is the wiser and better way to proceed ?

Ragweed

·
6,520 Posts
ICFs are nice but I wouldn't spend the money just for an ICF foundation that is generally below grade. Instead I think I'd opt for some exterior polyisocyanurate insulation boards on the outside and then a good insulation system on the inside as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
comp1911 : yes exactly !!! When I started I was planning on doing it myself. But becomes too expensive when contractied out, after looking at it I chickened out, and decided that this was not the area skimp and save money on.

ragweed

·
Registered
164 Posts
comp1911 : yes exactly !!! When I started I was planning on doing it myself. But becomes too expensive when contractied out, after looking at it I chickened out, and decided that this was not the area skimp and save money on.

ragweed

Oh come on it ain't so bad. :laughing: We did our foundations with Reward ICF's.

Pics on first page here:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/new-house-diy-10020/

·
Registered
164 Posts
ya I know!!, part I was worried about was my elevations and getting my start points from survey stakes :huh:
We had plenty of room so no worries on survey stakes. For the elevations, the foundations were layed out in CAD so we had a good idea what things needed to look like. The excavator used a laser when digging and we put up batter boards and string lines and shot the footings in with a transit. We ended up really good, like 1/8" in 56' :thumbup:

·
General Contractor
876 Posts
ICF's are very forgiving in the initial stages....critical level is when you pour.

Why not an ICF home? As an ICF builder, I can tell you it is better, and if you have any skills, you can do it yourself...that is, single story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.