DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
When trying to identify the rate of flow or water pressure to the ice maker, should I be able to put a drinking glass in the door and press water to fill it up?

I just did this exercise.

I could fill up a glass of water, but it wasn't amazingly fast.
With the saddle valve it took almost a minute to fill a 16 ounce glass. With the new 1/4 turn stop is takes about 8 seconds.

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Naildriver
14,109 Posts
I agree, Mike, saddle valves are the pits. Very low flow. I changed mine out to a quarter turn and it was night and day.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
From a thread I started awhile back.

"Okay, I got the new valve today and put it in tonight. As I mentioned, the time to fill a 8 ounce measuring cup before was 60 seconds. After the new valve it took 9 seconds."

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I ran a new experiment a few minutes ago to diagnose the water pressure to the ice maker. See picture below.

I took out the old water filter and put it in the sink.

I put a drinking glass in the door dispenser and watched as the water filled the glass. It was slow.

I moved the refrigerator and I turned the pet cock valve in the rear of the refrigerator to the 'OFF' position.

I then put a drinking glass in the dispenser and watched as it was filling.

It filled at the same speed as it did when the petcock was in the ON position.

I turned the petcock to the ON position.

I filled a glass of water again.

It filled at the same pace which was slow.

Would you concur the petcock valve is broken?

When the petcock valve was turned off how could the glass be filling with water?

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle handlebar

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Something amiss with the valve. I would replace it with a real 1/4 turn stop. Could be something is in that valve keeping it from closing.

Here's what I used at the icemaker lines origin. You should follow yours and see if it has a saddle valve there. They are always causing problems. Think about it, 1/4" line going to a valve that punches an 1/8th inch hole in the pipe it taps into.

Wood Gas Rim Automotive exterior Ceiling

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your shark bite valve is looking clean.

I'll get a new valve for the back of the refrigerator to replace the petcock valve.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Remember the picture I provided of the needle valve in the back of the fridge? Scroll up just a little to see it.

I need to replace that needle valve.

Here's what I just ordered. See picture below.

Will this valve fit the old copper in the back of the fridge?

Product Font Cylinder Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Remember the picture I provided of the needle valve in the back of the fridge? Scroll up just a little to see it.

I need to replace that needle valve.

Here's what I just ordered. See picture below.

Will this valve fit the old copper in the back of the fridge?

View attachment 664361
Looks good. Did you check back at the origin of the supply line to see how it was tapped?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just came back from the crawl space. I had to go deep into the crawl space to find the ice maker copper line. I had never been that deep into the crawl space.

I took some pictures of what I found. Even though it looks like there is some corrosion at the copper joints, my guess is that corrosion is not restricting water pressure, but I could be wrong.

Wood Plumbing fixture Font Flooring Rectangle

Twig Wood Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory

Insect Wood Rectangle Natural material Font

Font Plumbing valve Jewellery Plant Metal

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Gas Cable

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
That looks like a gate valve which is fine. Not sure why copper solder joints get the green coating on them, but I've seen it my whole life. One of the resident plumbers here I'm sure know the answer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Something amiss with the valve. I would replace it with a real 1/4 turn stop. Could be something is in that valve keeping it from closing.

Here's what I used at the icemaker lines origin. You should follow yours and see if it has a saddle valve there. They are always causing problems. Think about it, 1/4" line going to a valve that punches an 1/8th inch hole in the pipe it taps into.

View attachment 664123

I just ordered and received a new half turn valve. It will replace the old needle valve in the back of the refrigerator that turns off the flow of water to the ice maker.

Do you remember the picture I provided early on in this discussion of the old needle valve shut off in the back of my refrigerator? The picture is above.

When I disconnect the old needle valve and install the new half turn valve to the copper line, will I have to cut off 1 inch of the copper line or can I use the existing copper line just way it is?

I don't have a copper cutter that will fit a 1/4 inch copper line.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I would try it. The copper ferrule should seal against the new valve. Worst case, you can put the old one back on until you get a tubing cutter. Down side is two trips into the crawl space.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here's an update on the low water pressure going to the ice maker and water dispenser (in the refrigerator door).

Today I installed a new water shut off valve in back of the refrigerator.

When I turned the water main back on and put a glass of water in the door dispenser I couldn't see a change in the water flow. It was still slow.

Now I had to go deep into the crawl space and find the water shut off valve in the crawl space for the ice maker. Yes, there are two water shut off valves for the ice maker.

The second one is deep in the crawl space so I didn't use it when I replaced the valve behind the frig. Its easier for me to turn off the water main.

So I finally make my way deep into the crawl space and find the ice maker water shut off valve. My hunch was calcium was building up in the valve. Maybe if I could turn if off and on a few times it will break the calcium loose.

I put my hand on the valve knob to shut it off and it was already in the off position. I then turned it to the ON position.

I put a glass of water in the frig dispenser and it fills up fast.

Who was in the crawl space and shut off the ice maker valve?

The water shut off for the ice maker in the crawl space was in the OFF position since I moved into this house, but the water dispenser in the door could still fill up a glass of water. OK, it was slow to fill, but the valve in the OFF position was still letting water bypass the valve.

Is the valve broken?

Here's a picture of the valve.

Wood Plumbing valve Valve Gas Plumbing

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yesterday I turned opened the ice maker shut off valve located in crawl space.

I just looked at the ice maker ice bucket a few minutes ago.

Its full of ice and it made a full bucket in only one day. In the past that would have taken a week.

Even when the water shut off valve was closed, the shut off valve was still passing a little bit of water through and the ice maker was working slowly.

The scary part was I removed the water filter and dumped it in a glass. The color of the water was pure brown.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Yesterday I turned opened the ice maker shut off valve located in crawl space.

I just looked at the ice maker ice bucket a few minutes ago.

Its full of ice and it made a full bucket in only one day. In the past that would have taken a week.

Even when the water shut off valve was closed, the shut off valve was still passing a little bit of water through and the ice maker was working slowly.

The scary part was I removed the water filter and dumped it in a glass. The color of the water was pure brown.
Greater flow of water cleaned at least part of the deposits that had built up. I would run several gallons of water through it and of course dump it. When your satisfied the water is clear, install a new filter.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts