DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenmore Elite (side by side) refrigerator.

I don't use much ice, but when I empty the entire ice bucket into a cooler it takes a full week for the ice maker to fill up the ice bucket again.

Why is it producing ice so slowly?

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
Water filter occluded? Low water flow from tee valve?

Reactions: Dave Sal

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, its time to change the water filter. I can't remember the last time that was changed.

Let's see if that will work.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Ok, its time to change the water filter. I can't remember the last time that was changed.

Let's see if that will work.
If have the owners manual (or look it up online) it will tell you how often it should make a batch of ice. If I dump mine it take a couple days to refill the holding box.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you change the water filter in the Kenmore Elite do you have to turn off the water main in the basement first?

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
When you change the water filter in the Kenmore Elite do you have to turn off the water main in the basement first?
Should not have to. Mine doesn't require it and my last one didn't either.

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
Not sure on the Kenmore, but most filters are twist fit, and there is a ball type stop behind the filter that stops the water once the filter is removed.

Reactions: Mike Milam

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
3 degrees is an odd number. My freezer is sent on 3 (1-5) 5 being the coldest.

Ice freezes at 32F, an ice maker should work fine anything below 20F.

Do you have a fair amount of frozen food in the freezer? Mine does not work all that well when the area is empty ish.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now we are getting somewhere!

I have nothing in the freezer. That might be the problem?

I'll run an experiment and set the freezer temperature lower to 1 degree F.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
I seriously doubt you can move the temp 1 degree. Do you have some plastic bottles that you can fill up with water, 3/4 full, water expands as it freezes. I would want at least 20 % fill in the freezer. Before making any assumptions.
Others mentioned water filters, check?

Most refers have a valve in the back of them for a water shut off.
Is it open all the way and is the hose unkinked into the refer?

·
Registered
698 Posts
My kenmore actually tells me, every 6 months to change the filter. It gives me a month warning to order the filter, before it needs replaced.
The model number should be, just inside the door, at the top, on the left side. Look up the model number and manual on the internet, to find out what ice production should be.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's an update:

• I just order a new water filter (it will take a few days to arrive)
  • I also just pulled the fridge away from the wall

You were right there is a water shut off in back of the fridge. Its a pet cock of sorts.

I noticed the pet cock was only half open. I opened it up all the way.

You know how when you play with old water valves and as soon as you turn them they start to drip a little.

I was lucky when I opened it up all the way it did not start to drip.

As a rule should the ice maker water shut valve off be fully open or half open?

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
Fully open, no doubt

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a new idea.

For a moment let's work on the premise that the reason this ice maker is so slow is the water filter is clogged. I order a new one, but it won't be here for a few days.

What if I remove the old water filter.

Should the ice maker start working more quickly?

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Here's a new idea.

For a moment let's work on the premise that the reason this ice maker is so slow is the water filter is clogged. I order a new one, but it won't be here for a few days.

What if I remove the old water filter.

Should the ice maker start working more quickly?
Follow the supply line to the pipe it is connected to. If it has a saddle valve that could be the problem. The water is allowed in by a timer. If the water supply is low, the timer will stop before the tray is completely full. I had that problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When trying to identify the rate of flow or water pressure to the ice maker, should I be able to put a drinking glass in the door and press water to fill it up?

I just did this exercise.

I could fill up a glass of water, but it wasn't amazingly fast.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts