DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a 5 year old Admiral refrigerator that has an ice maker that has been acting up but tonight went crazy. Last week water would not stop running into the ice maker and overflowing into the tray. I put an ohmeter on the water inlet valve and it was showing it was bad. This morning i put on new water inlet valve and get the same thing. Wager overflowing the tray and into the tray. I should mention both times it was a constant stream that would not stop. I shut the water off to it, stumped as to what was wrong. I get in the freezer tonight, smell a burning odor and see that the ice maker has melted the plastic where it was screwed into the side and has fallen into the ice tray, turning the ice into water. I have no idea what happened. Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a a 5 year old Admiral refrigerator that has an ice maker that has been acting up but tonight went crazy. Last week water would not stop running into the ice maker and overflowing into the tray. I put an ohmeter on the water inlet valve and it was showing it was bad. This morning i put on new water inlet valve and get the same thing. Wager overflowing the tray and into the tray. I should mention both times it was a constant stream that would not stop. I shut the water off to it, stumped as to what was wrong. I get in the freezer tonight, smell a burning odor and see that the ice maker has melted the plastic where it was screwed into the side and has fallen into the ice tray, turning the ice into water. I have no idea what happened. Anyone heard of this?
Oops I meant 25 year old Admiral.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I get in the freezer tonight, smell a burning odor and see that the ice maker has melted the plastic where it was screwed into the side and has fallen into the ice tray, turning the ice into water. I have no idea what happened. Anyone heard of this?
Welcome. Maybe someone else has a better thought, but sure sounds to me like the problem is in the icemaker itself, and since parts availability will be extremely limited, if at all, I would imagine the only solution would be to replace the icemaker. And, since that by itself is very likely no longer available, let alone not practical to spend in repairs at 25 years, I'd put the money toward a new refrigerator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. Maybe someone else has a better thought, but sure sounds to me like the problem is in the icemaker itself, and since parts availability will be extremely limited, if at all, I would imagine the only solution would be to replace the icemaker. And, since that by itself is very likely no longer available, let alone not practical to spend in repairs at 25 years, I'd put the money toward a new refrigerator.
Oh yeah, I'm looking at new fridges now. I really hate to, this fridge is still running strong. I can't even replace the ice maker because like I said, where it screwed into the side totally melted off. Whatever short I had went to where the screws were and heated it up enough to melt the plastic. I literally cannot mount a new ice maker on because the screw holes are melted away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.