DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I want make raised patio with roof, discussing the plan and construction

186 6
I want make raised patio with the roof. Raised above the ground by 50cm (20inches). Size 4m*10m (14foot * 32 foot). (I have experience by building car port from scratch, other DIY projects like that).

I was looking around in my area how other people had done it. They put concrete posts in the ground. Make wall between them. Put concrete slab on top of it. And steel posts anchor to the top of the slab.

Slope Aircraft Rectangle Schematic Font

I would like to do it differently - I would not use concrete posts. I would anchored steel roofing tubes straight to the ground. Advantage is that I don't have to use concrete posts + there is no ugly anchoring on top of the slab. Disadvantage is that the steel beam is visible on the front face of the wall (which will make harder to stick ceramic tiles to it). Also I'm little bit worried about brick to steel connection (I would probably welded a little pieces of the rebar to the tube, so the mortar sticks better to it). Also I'm little bit worried if the vibrations of the steel would not transfer into wall and made cracks, structural damage or something.

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Circle

What do you think?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Former Framer, Plans for Permit Designer
308 Posts
I brought the top slab out 3 inches beyond the brick below, to encapsulate the columns and create a lid over the brick.
As I look at this, I think the brick and slab below the brick could be brought out flush to the upper slab and that way the brick would pass by the columns for a continuous look.

Goes live at 0530 PST. (has time to encode HD)

Rectangle Shade Plant Grass Outdoor furniture

Rectangle Shade Grass Wood Outdoor structure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I brought the top slab out 3 inches beyond the brick below, to encapsulate the columns and create a lid over the brick.
As I look at this, I think the brick and slab below the brick could be brought out flush to the upper slab and that way the brick would pass by the columns for a continuous look.

Goes live at 0530 PST. (has time to encode HD)

View attachment 721111
View attachment 721112
Thank you very much!!! That is very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts