DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stove that was bought probably about 5 years ago.
Yesterday i was cleaning the area on top of of it and decided to remove the metal cover for the air extractor that's right above it. I somehow dropped it and it fell behind the stove... The stove was not fully plugged in and when the metal plate fell it made both sides of the plug connect, i heard a loud pop and the timer on my stove went off. :( I've checked the breakers and they are good.
do you think it's just a fuse on the stove that may have gone out? Is there a fuse between the outlet and the breaker? I want to test the outlet, and i've read that i can use a multimeter, isn't 220v current too dangerous? I have a digital multimeter but i've read to stay away from those, is the analog safer?

Thanks for your time!

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
do you think it's just a fuse on the stove that may have gone out? Is there a fuse between the outlet and the breaker? I want to test the outlet, and i've read that i can use a multimeter, isn't 220v current too dangerous? I have a digital multimeter but i've read to stay away from those, is the analog safer?

Thanks for your time!
test the outlet for 220 volts with a multimeter, any multimeter will work . I sure don't know why you would think a digital one is any more dangerous than an analog one. The only danger would be if you didn't know how to use one.

digital timer on stove dead means replacement.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
since most 220 breakers are joined with a clip you can't turn off one with out turning off the other so if one side had popped you couldn't tell by looking. try turning the breaker for the stove completely off and then turning it back on.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wouldn't go buy a multi-tester unless you'll use it elsewhere. "If" the outlet somehow went bad, you don't want to change it out.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
As Danny stated, turn the breaker to the off position, then turn it back on. See if that brings the stove to life. Even the trained eye can't see that a breaker has tripped sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts