DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I laid a fairly large floor (Allure vinyl faux wood planking) and I really messed up. There is a section of about 3 planks that have multiple razor cuts in the surface. Yea...I didn't have a good base when I was cutting the flooring and some of it went through. Here's what I'd like to know: Can I possibly repair those spots with some vinyl seam sealer as opposed to trying to cut out the bad planks and replacing them? The cuts are very thin and with the planks being vinyl with the "wood" vinyl facing I was hoping that maybe a sealer would kind of meld the slits together and basically blend or hide them. The manufacturer recommended cutting out the damaged planks and replacing with new. The problem I have with that is the seams that would be created if the cuts are not perfectly precise. I could see the gaps being fairly ugly with me not being the artistic type.

I am an idiot looking for some help.:huh:

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
No one is an idiot! IF I had never made a mistake, then I would never have taught myself anything. Here's where it seems you are at: You have a floor with some multiple razor cuts in it. You have two choices as YOU stated. try the seam sealer or replace the damaged flooring. So let's try the seam sealer, give it a few weeks or so to age, and see what it looks like IF you don't go hunting for the cut marks. Then IF the cut marks are bold enough to draw the attention of others who enter the room (remember most of us are somewhat anal about problems like this), go with option two: replace the damaged sections. My bet is that you will not wind up changing out the bad sections. Thanks, David

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Then how will you explain those super high gloss seam sealer lines on the surface?:)

Try this since we are prescribing "oh-well" solutions to the problem.

Use a heat gun and heat the flooring slowly and thoroughly, (don't blister it) then use a brayer to roll along the edge of the cuts in an effort to caress them closed. Won't close them totally but will greatly reduce their visibility. The real damage is to the clear wear-surface and those cuts will still be there.

If that doesn't work then: OH WELL!:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much guys!:thumbsup:

This floor is at my cottage which is about 4 hrs from home. I'll be going up this weekend so I'll see what I can get done.

Take care.

·
floor pro
18 Posts
Pretty simple repair for a vinyl pro.
Cut a repair piece from the left over material and lay it precisely on the damaged area lining the pattern up perfectly. Tape in place.

He would then take a metal straight edge and line up precisely on one edge of the faux joint and double cut threw both pieces slow and easy cut with a razor knife. Carefully remove the damaged area. Just like cutting a seam. Glue and seal.

I use heat welding on seams when possible

Paul Spurlock
Owner; http://www.signature-concrete-stain.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts