DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered an American Craftsman Window from HD, a series 8803 triple slider vinyl window. However, when I saw it at the store, it was wrapped in celophane which was missing from the bottom; it had been dragged on the ground. This was obvious because of the dirt, and the corners were sort of bent up.
When I stood the window up, the way it would be mounted, it was bowed from the inside. Check out the photos. The welds on the inside part of the window were kind of raised.
But what worried me most was the warping, you could see the frame was not straight like the windows were. They told me this was normal and it would settle in after I installed it.

Please give me your opinions, I have to replace a set of doors with a window, since the doors go out to a deck and are allowing water intrusion. I'll be able to flash the deck properly once I pull the boards up.

But, is this window bad? Please look carefully at the edges left & right edges, how the window is a straight vertical line, but the frame next to it is bowed. It's the same on both sides.

Any help appreciated!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
It's a vinyl frame which is more flexible than wood. Even a wood frame can be pulled in by wrapping. You just have to install it straight. I would be concerned about the damaged corners though. It doesn't look like it was properly handled.

·
11,730 Posts
Hayewe farm is correct. They just bowed the frames wrapping it tight. The corner is bent, not just the flange. It takes a good drop to bend the corner frame (or a bad drop). I HAD an employee do that once.... The vinyl are built with screws and glue, it may be racked. I would pass unless you don't mind the cosmetics and get $100 off.
Be safe, Gary

·
Remodeler
436 Posts
The manufacturer of this should be ashamed of their shipping department. Given the ruff handling of the box stores the shipping department should protect their products better. If you were to accept this as is your just saying OK its OK that you ship and handle my window like a bag of potatoes.
Ask for the window to be replaced and check the new one out as well.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
It looks like your basic CHEAP HD window to me, which is why I say avoid them. You get what you pay for and those are crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just realized..

It also didn't have the tint I had ordered. The windows were completely clear... there was supposed to be a bronze tint.
I rejected it at the store and they re-ordered it.

I do have a question for the experts, though - I am replacing a door with a window, and they ordered a replacement with a nail fin. Is this OK, or do I need a new construction window, since I'll be building the wall underneath it? Can anybody tell if this has an Integrated J-channel (I was told that's best, since I have vinyl siding).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It also didn't have the tint I had ordered. The windows were completely clear... there was supposed to be a bronze tint.
I rejected it at the store and they re-ordered it.

I do have a question for the experts, though - I am replacing a door with a window, and they ordered a replacement with a nail fin. Is this OK, or do I need a new construction window, since I'll be building the wall underneath it?
Was your size available in the 2800 series? It seems the 8800 have thicker glass so they may be a little better than the 2800 series. I believe the new construction windows have a better looking outside profile(integrated siding channel) than the replacements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts