DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of them are about 11 year old. A few months ago i tried the the bathroom paint kit from HD and they already peeling off. What other type of paint can i use instead? I know latex wont last. Please advise

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
If we can determine why such an early failure that may assist in a remedy. Usually suggested is too much moisture in that area is the culprit. There are a few ways to overcome a moisture problem such as running a exhaust fan for longer periods, running the blower on a central HVAC unit, leaving the bath door open, taking cooler showers or all of the above.
After prepping for new paint consider consulting with a paint Co. such as in the link below.

https://www.valsparpaint.com/en/how...MImNTnt4D95wIVASCtBh0aSQIiEAAYASAAEgL4SfD_BwE

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i went to the big orange box store. The paint guy said lot of ppl use appliance paint with a roller on their bathtub with great result. I just slapped on a thin coat on my bathroom countertop and so far it looking really good. Dont know how long it woll last thoug.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You did not mention if your tub is cast or plastic. If plastic, cut it out and install a new one. If cast, Hire a professional resurfacing company. Never purchase anything from the box stores. They carry only lower quality products. Hire a company that this is all they do. Do the job right the first time.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,886 Posts
What prep did you do prior to painting?
Ayuh,...... This is my question,......

If the surfaces weren't heavily sanded, that explains why it peeling already,......

As with any paintin' job,....
Surface Prep is the key to success,....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sanded fairly well witht a sand block. Then wiped with a wet towel and waited for it to dry. Then brushed on the paint. Three thin layer. Idk what my tub is made of. Probably iron. It’s kinda dingy so just wanted to make it look new again. Too much of a hassle to take it out.

·
retired painter
10,985 Posts
Tub paint has a high failure rate when it comes to diy. It's difficult to get it good and clean. Is it peeling everywhere or just certain spots? I don't know if they steel make cast iron tubs - it's probably steel.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
If it is a alcove type tube (i.e. walls on three sides), do you have something like Bathfitter where you are?

https://www.bathfitter.com/

If the existing finish is compromised, with all the water chemicals, soap, etc. I'm not surprised the paint won't take without some serious cleaning.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Tub paint has a high failure rate when it comes to diy. It's difficult to get it good and clean. Is it peeling everywhere or just certain spots? I don't know if they steel make cast iron tubs - it's probably steel.
Also, if it's at all rusty and you don't get it all, the rust will continue to develop.

(Yes, you can still buy cast iron. They are heavy mothers, on the order of 300 lb plus.)

·
Hammered Thumb
3,514 Posts
I sanded fairly well witht a sand block. Then wiped with a wet towel and waited for it to dry. Then brushed on the paint.
The kits might look good a month or so, but you definitely didn't prep correctly. As an example you have to first get rid of the soap scum, lime, rust, and caulk. Then rub alcohol. Then scrub with like a "0" steel wool. Alcohol. Then like 300 grit. Alcohol. Some kits will provide an etching chemical.

I don't even want to know why you painted a laminate countertop.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s the alcove type. It cracks in some places but not all over. The bathroom countertop is not laminate, idk what its madenof but it’s solid not hollow.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,902 Posts
One time I tried sort of a premium product from a big box on an enamel tub.

I really did try prepping thoroughly, needed good ventilation when spraying....peeled in no time. Complete failure on CI.

It made no sense to me as they advised using 4/0 steel wool, and I could not detect any physical grab.....still don't know what I did wrong...???????

Had to call out and sub the $600 pro tub refinishers....was not there to see them do it.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
We had one of out claw foot cast iron tubs refinished by a professional finishing company. I wanted to test to see how well they do. That was 5 years ago when we first moved into this house. I wanted to know if I should replace it, or if they are as good as they say they are. First thing that was done, was an acid wash to remove everything from the glaze. Over 125 years of who knows what stuck to it. After rinsing that and sucking it out with a pump, since we have all brass drain pipe, he washed it a few times with water and his own mix of a cleaner. Then he sanded it with repaired all the small pitted areas with basic bondo. Most of this was on the outside, some around the drain. I removed the drain so that he could get to every area. He then sprayed on a coat of primer, heated that with a brazing torch. Let it cool and gave it a light sanding. Over the next few days, repeated the process but with the final coats of porcelain coating. Each time, heating as it was applied and then a light sanding. That was 5 years ago, and it still looks bright white and perfectly slick and smooth. Our cleaning ladies never use any thing other than soap and water to clean the inside and outside of the tub. For sanitation we have them mix a little water and alcohol to spray and wipe clean.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,514 Posts
It’s the alcove type. It cracks in some places but not all over. The bathroom countertop is not laminate, idk what its madenof but it’s solid not hollow.
I can't imagine you got paint to stick to cultured marble or manuf/natural stone, so I don't know what else the counter would be besides laminate.

Once the paint peels, come back here with pics of both and get some honest advice on pig lipstick.

Edit: Was this the first attempt at painting an 11year old counter or did you do it back in 2017 too?
https://www.diychatroom.com/f4/can-i-paint-bathroom-sink-regular-paint-549713/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts