DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
JOATMON
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning ahead....We want to install a dog door 'before' we actually do the stucco and drywall.

I don't want a dog door that looks like it was added 'after the fact'....the section of wall it's going into is going to end up being about 8" thick....(5 1/2" studs, 1/2" OSB both sides (braced wall), 5/8" drywall inside and 1" of stucco outside)

I've been searching....and I'm just not finding what I want.

Suggestions?

At this point I'm thinking of getting just the basic door and making my own frame.....

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Why in a wall and not in the door?

·
JOATMON
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why in a wall and not in the door?
I hate the look of dog doors in the door...besides, I don't want to butcher any of the doors....especially the new French door that will be in the back....

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
What's the neighborhood like? You may not want to have all the other critters having access to your home. My uncle had opossums, ***** and neighborhood cats making use of their pet door. Come home to a momma **** and three pups in your kitchen and you will find yourself back in the garage real fast!

·
Registered
843 Posts
What's the neighborhood like? You may not want to have all the other critters having access to your home. My uncle had opossums, ***** and neighborhood cats making use of their pet door. Come home to a momma **** and three pups in your kitchen and you will find yourself back in the garage real fast!
PoleCat you forgot the B&E man!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Around here the B&E boys are way too fat. But, yeah that is another issue.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Wow! Back in the early 70's we had just such a set up. It worked too! Have to admit though I never saw ***** or opossums in that neighborhood.

·
JOATMON
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the reasons for a pet door is so we can get another dog.....the job of the dog is to make sure the Racoon's don't come in (my cats just hiss at them)....and with a dog, bad guys are a lot less likely to try to come in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts