DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I jacked up my 2015 Toyota Highlander to rotate tires, now the Slip Indicator Light stays on.

974 Views 24 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  SPS-1
Do any of you auto repair DIYer's know how to "turn off the Slip Indicator Light" on my instrument panel?? I jacked up my 2015 Highlander to rotate the tires, and after I put it back on the ground, the slip indicator light came on when I started the engine? That is the ONLY indicator light that came on. Thank you for any info, or tricks, to do this.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd try disconnecting the battery. Leave it off for 5 or 10 minutes then reconnect it and see if the light is reset.
I thought of that, at first, since I'd done that before with older vehicles, but this vehicle has so many electronic settings, that I was afraid that a lot of other lights might "pop up".

· Registered
4,448 Posts
That won't be a problem. At most you'll lose your radio and seat memory settings. One more thought... it might be possible that whilst changing wheels you bumped one or more of the ABS sensor wires. Have a look at those wires and connectors at each wheel. Those signals are critical for the traction control function and it won't work if one is inop. Only thing about that that puzzles me is you should then also get an ABS inop light. I have never had any of these lights in my Tacoma so not 100% which ones you should see.

I thought of that, at first, since I'd done that before with older vehicles, but this vehicle has so many electronic settings, that I was afraid that a lot of other lights might "pop up".

· Naildriver
23,360 Posts
Have you rolled the vehicle at all. It may take a few rotations of the wheels to acclimate it to the settings.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That won't be a problem. At most you'll lose your radio and seat memory settings. One more thought... it might be possible that whilst changing wheels you bumped one or more of the ABS sensor wires. Have a look at those wires and connectors at each wheel. Those signals are critical for the traction control function and it won't work if one is inop. Only thing about that that puzzles me is you should then also get an ABS inop light. I have never had any of these lights in my Tacoma so not 100% which ones you should see.
No,,,,,,,,,,,,,no the ABS light is not on. Only light on is the "skid marks".

· Registered
9,016 Posts
it might be possible that whilst changing wheels you bumped one or more of the ABS sensor wires. Have a look at those wires and connectors at each wheel.
If you've tried resetting everything, which it sounds like you have, this would be the next thing to check, including checking to see if one of the sensors itself got bumped out of position, so that it's not getting readings.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you rolled the vehicle at all. It may take a few rotations of the wheels to acclimate it to the settings.
Well,,,,,,,,,I was "out of town" this weekend. Vehicle ran the same as always with the light on,,,,,,,,but, after about 150 miles,,,,,,,,,,the light is still on. But thanks for all the suggestions!

· Registered
14 Posts
You most likely need to perform a zero point calibration procedure. You can do it with certain scam tools or if you can find the correct pins in your obd2 connector you use a paperclip and there's a certain procedure you have to follow. Like you have to put a paperclip in 2 different pins and touch them together 4 times or more within 8 seconds and turn the ignition on and off a certain number of times. Can't remember whole procedure. It should reset the sensors correct. Scan tool is easiest if you can find one that will do the calibration reset

· Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like the light you're referring to is to indicate that you are experiencing poor traction and that the Traction Control system has engaged. On my car that's what it means, and I have a separate light that simply says "TRAC" to indicate that the status of the Traction Control feature, overall.

One other thing you can try is to drive a block with the Traction Control on, and then drive a block with it off. Maybe that would reset it?

· Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like the light you're referring to is to indicate that you are experiencing poor traction and that the Traction Control system has engaged. On my car that's what it means, and I have a separate light that simply says "TRAC" to indicate that the status of the Traction Control feature, overall.

One other thing you can try is to drive a block with the Traction Control on, and then drive a block with it off. Maybe that would reset it?
DanDIY the zero point calibration reset that i posted is the only way to reset those sensors. It resets the sensors for the traction control system and vehicle stability control system that are causing his light most likely. The system also works with the abs system. The light staying on is a very common issue that happens after having suspension work or in his case having the vehicle up and rotating the tires. Is a very easy reset with a scan tool but you can also do it with paperclips and jumping the pins in the obd connector. Disconnecting the battery, driving backwards, raising truck up and driving with wheels off the ground won't help. It's a calibration issue that can only be fixed by resetting the sensors.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(1/24/2023) Update: The traction control light is still on, vehicle has been running fine with max gas mileage showing. Tried the traction control button, can push it multiple times, and the light doesn't even blink. Haven't been in a situation when I "know" a wheel is slipping (or spinning) Not sure if the actual traction control is engaged, or off, but the light is steadily on. How would you tell "with AWD"? With actual 4WD, you could tell if it's on or off, but with AWD it's only supposed to come on when "A" wheel slips? I've tried all the suggestions offered so far to no avail,,,,,,,,,,except shorting out the pins, which was suggested today. I had a BMW that I had to do that with, so, I know what you are talking about, BUT, you have to know exactly which pins to short (positively), OR you'll really screw something up bad. Do appreciate all the suggestions!!

· Registered
14 Posts
Oh, and yes, I already tried "blocking up the whole vehicle", and running it and as you said, it didn't work.
Actually i said that wouldn't work. See if autozone or other parts stores have a diagnostic tool or just go to tires plus, Firestone or dealer and perform the reset. If light is on Traction Control should be engaged even in this scenario

1 - 20 of 25 Posts