DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first timer here doing DIY, I'm sorry I don't know much. I am trying to paint my kitchen but I am having to get through two layers of wallpaper at the moment. When I peel back the wallpaper, it looks like the walls are wood and some areas have like a white coating on them (this is after I take the backing off of the wallpaper so I know it's not that). On the other side of the walls that faces towards the living room are wood so does that mean that the whole wall is wood all the way? If so can I paint it as is if I sand it? Can I use drywall mud to patch up some unevenness/holes? Help, I have no idea what I am doing!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh right sorry! The house was built in 1980 FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1662 2.jpg

There is some stubborn pieces of wallpaper i haven't removed yet

·
retired painter
9,879 Posts
I agree, looks like drywall. I'd prime the wall with Gardz, sand lightly when dry and apply a skim coat of joint compound. Might need to apply mud to the bad spots first - depends on how thick the mud would need to be.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To remove the stubnirm wallpaper, have you tried using a garden sprayer with undiluted white vinegar? Add a few drops of liquid dish detergent and spray the wallpaper. In my experience, that works better than anything.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used liquid fabric softener mixed with water to remove paper, and that seemed to sink in and loosen it up quite well. i think it was about 1 cup softener to 1 gallon hot water.

Sub
jack-of-all, master-of-NOTHIN!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts