DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the destination room is reached, computer #1 is about 11 feet in one direction. While computer #2 is about 18 feet in the other direction. Like making a Y junction.
I am thinking of bringing the cable by the ceiling.
I suppose instead of bringing 2 cables from the modem about 15 feet away, I probably should only bring one cable and split it somehow at the destination, with a router maybe?
Would this work? Or am I very lost?

Thank you in advance guys!

By the way, I HAVE to use Ethernet in order to comply with a work requirement. Hence WiFi won't cut it.
I looked into Powerline Networking too, but based on the reviews and user comments I found, there's a good chance that technology won't give me enough speed, nor reliability. And I cannot afford to bargain with either.

DPC

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
An Ethernet “switch” would do the “Y-junction” function that you’re thinking of. Plug the cable from the router into one of the ports, then you can plug other computers/printers/etc. into it to share the connection. You can buy the size with the number of ports that you need. Here is what Amazon.ca has available.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
22,537 Posts
You should bring two cables. 30 feet is not a long distance for ethernet cables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have a power outlet maybe Ethernet over powerline. Give it a google but it use your powerline and then you have fast speed.
I used one in my last place. The modem was upstairs and TV down so I used the Ethernet over powerline. One with a line from the modem plugged into a socket. Then plugged one in behind the TV and then that into a switch, everything had fast speed, TV, PS3, Apple TV (at the time). Cost aboy 55 bucks and then 20 bucks for the switch. Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Network switches (which are quite reliable and increasingly inexpensive) are a common solution to the fact that the router supplied by many ISPs only provides a small number of ports for Ethernet connections. Many people use Wi-Fi (or other solutions) for convenience, but Ethernet is the best solution for high speed and reliable network connections. If you’ve got multiple desktop computers (which don’t move location), printers, streaming TVs, etc., being able to expand the number of Ethernet connections beyond those provided on the ISP supplied router is a requirement.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should use two separate cables, each connected to a central router. Cat5e/Cat 6e is cheap so I always run a couple to each destination for future expansion and in case a cable gets damaged. If you pull it through the attic and down walls don't reef on it as the conductors can break. If you punch down your own cable be sure to follow the correct wire path to get full rated speed:
white/orange
orange
white/green
blue
white/blue
green
white/brown
brown

monoprice is a great place for components on the cheap

As Chris616 said, you'll be amazed with the reliability and speed over wifi

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My TV is smart and has an Ethernet port. Would I bring the cable to the TV or to a jack for the PC then cast to TV?
I was planning on running ethernet to remote places here in the house and was not sure.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My TV is smart and has an Ethernet port. Would I bring the cable to the TV or to a jack for the PC then cast to TV?
I was planning on running ethernet to remote places here in the house and was not sure.
Either will work. It's somewhat easier to wire up jacks than putting plugs on the end of long cables (a lot of plug crimpers are crap and leave you with unreliable connections). The appearance of a jack on the wall is also cleaner than seeing wires poking out through a hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts