DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sir Diddely Squat
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am redoing my medicine cabinet. I removed the old built in MC and what I had thought that would be behind it was just some wall studs and maybe insulation.

However what I did discover what seems to another wall of lathe and plaster. So now I am wondering how to proceed, if you have any tips. I am also wondering now if that is not the original wall. As this is bumped out a good 3 inches. I wanted to do recess which would require opening it up larger than the hole is. Would it make more sense to do flush and seal it?

Not that I really want to tear down a wall. It is something I haven't encountered before. Obviously if the wall removed and what I presume is the original wall was exposed it would open it up.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,996 Posts
looks like the plaster on the other side of the wall. Completely normal.
Medicine cabinets designed to be same thickness as a stud so they fit into a standard stud wall.
Is this an inside or outside wall?

·
Sir Diddely Squat
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a interior wall facing a bedroom to the west. I am not great at taking pictures. I hope these help some more. On the other side is just the bedroom wall.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,996 Posts
It's your choice. I would do the recessed.
The new cabinet should be the proper thickness to fit in a standard 2x4 wall. With the thickness of the plaster you have, depth should not be an issue. New units would be designed for a 1/2" drywall and 3-1/2" studs.

·
retired framer
63,607 Posts
In older house, walls were sometimes doubled up to hide the cast iron pipe going up to the roof.
If there is attic space above you might be able to see what the original wall was.

Even today with 4" plastic we build a 2x6 (wet) wall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.