DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total oversight on my part- Kitchen cabinets are in and grante counters with sink are now installed. In installing the granite counter- they also installed a 9' deep "undermount" sink. When I went to eyeball the garbage disposal install I notice the outlet from the disposal is 2-3" lower than my drain. I cannot lower the drain at all since it comes in from the side wall and making it any lower would throw off the natural pitch out the main. I can buy another sink which is same dimensions but 7.5" deep but I don't think that helps me enough. Do they make any disposals where the outlet is less than 6" down???
I'm beside myself knowing I made this poor error and feel there is no way out.
HELP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Huskyfan68 said:
Total oversight on my part- Kitchen cabinets are in and grante counters with sink are now installed. In installing the granite counter- they also installed a 9' deep "undermount" sink. When I went to eyeball the garbage disposal install I notice the outlet from the disposal is 2-3" lower than my drain. I cannot lower the drain at all since it comes in from the side wall and making it any lower would throw off the natural pitch out the main. I can buy another sink which is same dimensions but 7.5" deep but I don't think that helps me enough. Do they make any disposals where the outlet is less than 6" down???
I'm beside myself knowing I made this poor error and feel there is no way out.
HELP
You sure you won't be okay once a p-trap is installed??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really can only change the sink with one that will fit in the opening. The counter is already cut to fit the sink

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the P trap is what comes out of the disposal and goes down correct? Won't it still be an issue if the main drain is still higher than disposal outlet?

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
You can get a closer coupled disposal- perhaps a Badger. But it still looks a little close.
Also look at sinks with a shallow bowl on one side

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Garbage disposers are not necessary---you could learn to live without it---

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I did something similar when I remodeled a kitchen a few years back. I can tell you with certainty that the drain MUST be below the disposal's outlet. If you can't figure a way for that to happen, don't install the disposal.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,354 Posts
2 suggestions:

Get a GD with a shorter neck. The 1 in your picture is not typical.

I do not see why you can not open the wall and lower the trap arm tee. PIA but doable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if anyone knows of any GD's that have higher outputs let me know- most of the one's I've looked at look about the same- thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks all- I cannot lower drain line- thats part of the issue- the drain comes in from the basement (split level house)- The kitchen is on a slab- The drain goes out the back (which is actually the basement ceiling)- then pitches all the way to the right (about 20') to the main drain outlet- It's as low as it can go

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,354 Posts
Insinkerator GD's have the drain hole 6"(measure to center of hole) below the bottom of the sink, yours looks a lot more that that .

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
thanks all- I cannot lower drain line- thats part of the issue- the drain comes in from the basement (split level house)- The kitchen is on a slab- The drain goes out the back (which is actually the basement ceiling)- then pitches all the way to the right (about 20') to the main drain outlet- It's as low as it can go
Lower only the tee at the back of the cabinet. It should have no bearing on whats 20' away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks E..... I can't- I looked at that- The "T" is basically connected to a 45 then a 90 degree turn to the right where it begins it's slope to the main out. I guess I could drop the connection at the main line and slope it more but that could be a huge project.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts