DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a (good) problem. We moved and I now have a barn that will have space within it used as my wood shop. I'm a novice, but have experienced several years of knowing that I like woodworking, and want to get better at it and be able to do more. There is currently 220v in the barn, so electric is not an issue. I have between 1000-1800 to spend.

Any ideas on whether a hybrid saw or cabinet saw would be better? I'm not opposed to buying used if needed either. Thanks.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
it depends. do you plan on staying there for a long time and will you need to move the saw around if space is limited. if your limited for space a contractor saw will take up less space and is portable. if you have the space and its dedicated buy the cabinet saw

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it depends. do you plan on staying there for a long time and will you need to move the saw around if space is limited. if your limited for space a contractor saw will take up less space and is portable. if you have the space and its dedicated buy the cabinet saw
Space isn't a huge issue. I don't have the whole barn but a 20x10 space within the barn. I figured I could always add a base w/ wheels if I needed to move around a bit.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Unless you are planning to build huge projects the cabinet saw is what I would go for. I'm not sure but I don't think you can make a cabinet saw mobile or would want to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.