DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pull a permit this week to switch out my water heater from gas to electric. There is an existing 50 amp double pole breaker in my service panel that feeds to my garage where the hot water heater is located. It doesn't serve anything. I believe it used to serve the old furnace or maybe water heater a long time ago?

So I'm wondering what my options are for using this breaker and wire for my new water heater. I'm planning on buying this water heater:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_592513-135-E40R6-45_1z0visvZ1z11qhf__?productId=50397570&pl=1

Do I need to connect it to a new subpanel and feed a 30 amp double from there to the wh? Is there a simpler way? I'm in California. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
ok...if thats what you wana do...its probably going to need a 30 amp breaker and just wire it up..if the thicker wire fits into the breaker you can go bigger wire in a smaller breaker but not a bigger breaker on smaller wire..

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,127 Posts
Replace the breaker in the main with a 2 pole 30 amp. Terminate the AL cable in a pull out disconnect. Run 10/2 NM copper cable from the disconnect to the WH.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,127 Posts
The 50 amp breaker in the main is to big for #8 AL. Change the breaker to 30 amp. You can use that small sub if you wish but all you need is a disconnect.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had an inspector (very nice guy) in about a month ago and I asked him what my options were to bring this to code. It's not code now but it 'works'. It would require moving the water heater which means moving gas lines and heater to places I don't want. It would also require venting pipe to be run through already finished areas. It just doesn't work. Switching to electric is the simplest because that's the way it was originally set up before the original owner changed it back in 2004 without a permit. Not sure what kind of electric wh was there, but the furnace was also replaced. I believe the electric circuit that was there handled the old furnace and water heater? Not sure.

Just trying to get everything back up to code.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
you can get a power vent for the gas water heater, would be cheaper and easier than what you propose, it works off of 110 volt, and would go out the side wall of the house..thats one option if the heater is on an outside wall..ill try and get a link to a power vent unit..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.