DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an A/C guy out to do the annual maintenance and I was commenting that our upstairs is cycling alot, and that our old ac guy had kept putting freon in but could never get it right. The system cools and heats, it just runs often.

So, the guy spends a good two hours here servicing everything and looking at the top unit. He said the numbers were way out of whack.

He said the following:

The system is running at a very high head pressure: 305
Superheat will not go below 24
Subcool running at 38.9

The condensing unit and the coil are 16 years old. The part number on the condensing unit is RAMA-030JAZ. It's a 2.5 ton Rheem. The furnace is a Super Quiet 80 at 48000 BTUs, a 2 ton system, about 6 years old. He said the furnace should be a 3 ton, and that the two ton is not providing enough airflow and is choking the system.

He said my options are replace the furnace, but that the condenser and evaporator are so old. He said I could replace the condenser and coil, or I could just get a whole new system.

I have two more companies coming out to look at it and get me quotes if I do need to replace.

Do I have a a serious problem? Is it mismatched? What is the best route for me to go? The upstairs is right about 1300 sq ft. If I need a new unit, what should I look at? Trane seems to be what most of the companies down here are pushing.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I know next to nothing about AC. He could say the fluffernutter needs replacing and I'd be inclined to believe him.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I did a little more digging. The Condenser and the AC are 16 years old. They used to be on the main floor. When the old upstairs AC went out, he moved the AC upstairs and replaced the downstairs. This is what the work order reads.

Relocate AC from downstairs to upstairs
Install Rheem 50000 BTU 80% efficient furnace with 3 ton drive
Install 3 ton 12 seer coil 17"

So does that mean the furnace is actually 3 tons? If it is, did the AC misinform me? What is the problem with the readings and the cycling? He is saying I need a new system. Is this the case?

The model number of the furnace is RGDN-05EAUER

Thanks

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Subcool 38 is way overcharged. Combined with 24 superheat means the refrigerant is not getting into the indoor coil like it should. Not enough air flow would give low superheat,not high. Call them back and ask for a different tech to come out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts