DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy's
No one has been able to give me an answer, so trying here.

New house build in 2006, only owner. (I moved in to wifes house in 2010)

So,

on the wall on the ground level (basement / ground / 1st floor) we have a thermostat for the hvac. Directly above it is a switch, no markings, nada, BUT if you switch it "on" it either switches on or switches off the extractor fan in the 1st floor bathroom/washroom. (obviously depending on the position of the extractor fan switch in the washroom itself, so the downstairs switch will either switch on or switch off)

For a while no-one could tell me what it does, why it's there, what purpose.
There was no instructions either. We had an HVAC guy come in and fix something and ran it past him his exact words were "pass" LOL

So Yesterday wifey said in the new house builds the houses have something called a "return filter fan" when you hit the switch, some green light comes on to a unit with a filter and apparently it's function is to recirculate the air through the intakes to equalize the temperatures through the house.

The idea is in summer the whole house is cool not just downstairs and vice versa in winter.

Now on our HVAC there is no such device... but I thought I'd run this past any HVAC'rs here if they have any idea.

The ONLY purpose I actually use it for is for turning the extractor fan off when my wife has forgotton about it without going upstairs... I call it my lazy switch HEE HEE

BTW, in the 2 other washrooms upstairs and downstairs it has no effect

seriously weird.. maybe it's a Canadian thing ?

LOL :wink2:

·
Hvac Pro
22,478 Posts
My house is the same age and I have a central exhaust fan that does the 2 bathrooms plus a vent in the kitchen.

Homes nowadays don't penetrate the roof with chimneys or exhaust fans so they use a central fan. Mine has a de-humidistat which is meant for Winter use to keep the house around 40% RH. I shut it off in Summer as it goes over 40% RH.

Then I yanked that fan and put in a HRV in place to reover the heat from the exhaust air. I suspect your wife is thinking of that or a ERV which is similar. Energy recovery ventilator. Google them. They have a evaporative wick cell instead of a stainless one in a HRV.

I also had a switch to turn that exhaust fan on when using the bathroom. I converted that to a 20/40/60 timer for the HRV.

Point is your switch may be to turn that fan on for ventilation? You would think the other 2 switches would do the same or be 3 way switches?

Ontario codes may be different than Manitoba.

Lifebreath makes both HV and ERVs

https://www.lifebreath.com/products/residential-heat-recovery-ventilation-hrv-units/

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
txs, yeah could be an ERV on her other house

yeah I wanna take that bloody switch out an out a 20/40/60

so yeah still no closer on the downstairs "lazy" switch LOL

·
Hvac Pro
22,478 Posts
If it ain't broke don't be fixin it. Leave well enough alone.

Red Green forever.:biggrin2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts