DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my blower motor today in the Air handler upstairs. Fan comes on when I select Fan On, once I put Thermostat on cool and compressor kicks on, or select Auto, Fan shuts off. What could cause this. Also have a new 10 cap on Fan.
Installation was straight forward except yellow(low) on old motor, is now orange(low) on new motor. and also had yellow and purple wires interconnected that were not on old motor.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Hard to say what's going on from here. Was this the reason you replaced the motor in the first place?

It sounds like the call is dropping off so that would or could rather either be the control board or the thermostat.

Just guessing from here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the motor because of a power surge couple of days ago, Blower was humming and not starting. I change the Cap 1st, and it didnt nothing 1st couple of tries to start. Then it cranked up after hours of sitting off, it lasted only bout 3 hours then stopped completely. REmoved the motor and it was burnt up pretty bad on back side of motor. So i replaced motor, only wires I removed were the Cap wires, and the 5 motor wires. I connected everything back normal, as per a diagram i drew and digital pictures i took. Blower runs fine on FAN ON setting, but stops on COOL or AUTO settings.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
I replaced the motor because of a power surge couple of days ago, Blower was humming and not starting. I change the Cap 1st, and it didnt nothing 1st couple of tries to start. Then it cranked up after hours of sitting off, it lasted only bout 3 hours then stopped completely. REmoved the motor and it was burnt up pretty bad on back side of motor. So i replaced motor, only wires I removed were the Cap wires, and the 5 motor wires. I connected everything back normal, as per a diagram i drew and digital pictures i took. Blower runs fine on FAN ON setting, but stops on COOL or AUTO settings.
Again, you apparently have a control problem which again is either the control board or the stat. Jump the r to the y terminal at the thermostat. You will have to turn the power off to the furnace first by way of breaker so you don't accidentally blow a fuse on the control board and turn it back on after you jump/wire nut those wires together. This should make the cooling come on. If you bypass the stat and the fan comes on as well as the outside unit and you get cool air this way then your stat is bad, it is not making the call for cool.

Try that first and let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, you apparently have a control problem which again is either the control board or the stat. Jump the r to the y terminal at the thermostat. You will have to turn the power off to the furnace first by way of breaker so you don't accidentally blow a fuse on the control board and turn it back on after you jump/wire nut those wires together. This should make the cooling come on. If you bypass the stat and the fan comes on as well as the outside unit and you get cool air this way then your stat is bad, it is not making the call for cool.

Try that first and let me know.
jumped the Red and Yellow at the Thermostat and when i switched the 110 back on upstairs the outside unit came on with the Thermostat removed from the wall...no blower thou even after connecting the Thermostat back in place...only outside unit running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the issue, Thanks Doc for steering me in the right direction...after the jumper deal, i decided to take the control board off, see pic below...So being the parts house is closed, i soldered the board myself...presto! we have cool AC with fan blower action. Thanks again. Lp

Attachments

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
You're welcome and good work, excellent innitiative!

Those power surges are a mother for sure, you might want to to invest in a surge protector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts