DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

HVAC duct through a fire rated wall

2557 2
I converted the rear section of the garage into a laundry room with a wall newly constructed to divide the laundry from the rest of the garage. This wall needs to be a fire rated wall. I am required to put HVAC register in the laundry since it will be considered habitable space. The air handler is in the garage very close to this wall. It would be a simple matter to run a duct from the air handler through this wall into the laundry. Can I put the duct through the wall and still maintain the fire rating? Any suggestions what I would do if I cannot put a duct through this wall?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I submitted my plans as the homeowner for a building permit indicating the HVAC duct through this wall the only comment the examiner made was that the duct had to be 26 gauge with R8 insulation. I think it is possible he overlooked the issue of the fire rating. I will contact him tomorrow. I think he is out barbecuing today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.