DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Carrier Infinity System.

On this, the day temperatures reached 95, my AC stopped working. Here are the symptoms:

The thermostat says "Infinity System - System Malfunction Call Technician".
The condenser outside is spinning, but slowly, and only after I gave the unit a little nudge.
I poked around the thermostat for some error messages and found: "VC STANDBY VOLTS", "LOW PRESS SWITCH", but I'm not sure if these are current or relevant.
Since this is a heat wave during a long holiday weekend, I'm hoping to somehow fix this myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If the answer ends up being that I need to replace one of the capacitors, could you direct me to how one finds out which one of the three in the picture is broken.

·
Registered
494 Posts
'POWER OFF"! to unit before doing anything in Electrical compartment! The small one in he middle is for the Fan Motor. You would need a Meter to confirm it's bad. If it's not bad, there is a small chance it could be 'holding a Charge' and it would need carefully Discharged. With some Eye protection on, you discharge by shorting across the 2 terminals with a good insulated screwdriver for just a second or two. It looks like it will be either a 5.0 or 7.5 mfd..you would have to get with someone that has the right meter to confirm the value of your cap(Simple multi-meter test won't give a value) *BE CAREFUL !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts