DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a house that was built in 1977 in houston which I bought last year. The AC system up until the boots/Register/vents were installed in 2007 or 08. and the Air Duct boot/Register/Vent ( I am not sure exactly what they're called) has insulation on the inside that has overspray from when they did the ceiling and mold present. I just removed the insulation which to me does not make sense, however I cleaned the area where the over spray occured with bleach and like I said removed the insulation on all of them and cleaned them with bleach. My Question is; Does this insulation that looks dirty and old need to be there? What purpose does it serve? I thought insulation is for the outside not inside your air system especially at the end where condensation might collect along wth mold.

·
Administrator
42,065 Posts
The insulation is to help prevent condensation.

Post some pics of the boots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I assumed, Coming from the NE I have never seen this, so I thought it was strange. It will only allow me to upload 100KB, the file is 1.05 MB. Can I replace this type of insulation or even should I? Do I really need it? Or am I going to have to replace all the boots as well.

Thanks for your answers.

·
Administrator
42,065 Posts
Can really replace. If you remove it, you should then insulate the outside of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this just old engineering? I understand that thought process for condensation, however I believe it's fiberglass. I am not a engineer, however would this type of stuff be bad in the air. I know that we have felt better since removing it and the previous owner had 2 sick wives over the years. I don't know jsut seems stupid to me.

·
Administrator
42,065 Posts
Wet insulation will grow mold.

Insulated boots/boxes are still sold today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts