DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently had the house replumbed from poly to pex, and during that investment I had a new moen shower/tub valve installed since they had to cut through the tile anyway for the piping change. Now after filling up the kids bath and turning off the water, a very audible humming is coming from the valve area behind the wall and continues for maybe 5+ minutes.

Any suggestions on what to do? Hopefully something that can be done without having to cut through the tile again.. :( Is this is an issue that the plumber should be addressing for me since they installed the valve? I don't know if this sound was there before this new valve, as we recently moved in and had not used the tub until now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,
I recently had the house replumbed from poly to pex, and during that investment I had a new moen shower/tub valve installed since they had to cut through the tile anyway for the piping change. Now after filling up the kids bath and turning off the water, a very audible humming is coming from the valve area behind the wall and continues for maybe 5+ minutes.

Any suggestions on what to do? Hopefully something that can be done without having to cut through the tile again.. :( Is this is an issue that the plumber should be addressing for me since they installed the valve? I don't know if this sound was there before this new valve, as we recently moved in and had not used the tub until now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
If you quickly shut off the home water supply, does the sound stop?

If the valve is new, there may be some grit or debris stuck inside it from all the work, so it's making the valve seat too slowly.

While perhaps it can be flushed out simply by turning the water on full blast, it may be necessary to take the valve apart. Normally the valve can be serviced without major surgery.

·
Registered
428 Posts
During the humming sound, is there any water coming out at all-even a drip?

If not, check this.
you likely have a toilet near the tub. I'd check to see if the toilet is possibly where the sound is actually coming from. Sometimes a water pressure change can activate a defective fill valve in a toilet. They do make weird sounds when that happens and can vibrate nearby pipes as well. One way to tell if it is the toilet, is to shut off the toilet supply line completely and then try your tub again. If No noise-likely the toilet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts