DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Humidifier Modification DIY

492 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  supers05
Hello all,

I had an maintenance call on my furnace recently and the tech mentioned the humidifier was installed incorrectly. I have 2 return ducts returning into the the furnace and one duct supplying air to the house. The humidifier (currently) is mounted to one of the returns and the 4 inch duct connects to the other return duct.

After reading online, I know that the 4 inch duct should connect to the supply (not the other return), however I don't have room in my setup to install the 4 inch duct on the wall side of the main supply duct. My question is, I can attach the 4 inch duct on the bottom/floor of the supply duct (vs. the side wall) that is further down? I've come across documentation installing the duct on the wall of the main supply duct.

Would installing the 4 inch duct on the floor of the main supply duct affect the performance of the humidifier? Any information is appreciated!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15,740 Posts
Hello all,

I had an maintenance call on my furnace recently and the tech mentioned the humidifier was installed incorrectly. I have 2 return ducts returning into the the furnace and one duct supplying air to the house. The humidifier (currently) is mounted to one of the returns and the 4 inch duct connects to the other return duct.

After reading online, I know that the 4 inch duct should connect to the supply (not the other return), however I don't have room in my setup to install the 4 inch duct on the wall side of the main supply duct. My question is, I can attach the 4 inch duct on the bottom/floor of the supply duct (vs. the side wall) that is further down? I've come across documentation installing the duct on the wall of the main supply duct.

Would installing the 4 inch duct on the floor of the main supply duct affect the performance of the humidifier? Any information is appreciated!
We need to know what kind of humidifier you have. Post a picture of what you have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.