DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long ago I used to use a quick setting "one and done" style spackling repair from (I think) DAP, which had the characteristics that are usually counter to everything but epoxy:
  1. Fast setting
  2. Didn't need to be put on thin
  3. Set as a hardened surface
I had thought for sure it was their "Fast 'n Final" product. But now it's almost a latex-y feel after setting, even months later. I can easily dig it out with my fingernail. I can't paint over that and "be done with it". I'll have to mud it, and the mud would have nothing hard under it, and that was what I was hoping to avoid anyway.

Did something change? Or am I using a different product without realizing it?

My house has blueboard with skimcoat plaster on it, and I'm repairing holes 1" to 3" in diameter, always with a small wooden plank backing screwed behind for repair.

-Distressed Rookie.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Long ago I used to use a quick setting "one and done" style spackling repair from (I think) DAP, which had the characteristics that are usually counter to everything but epoxy:
  1. Fast setting
  2. Didn't need to be put on thin
  3. Set as a hardened surface
I had thought for sure it was their "Fast 'n Final" product. But now it's almost a latex-y feel after setting, even months later. I can easily dig it out with my fingernail. I can't paint over that and "be done with it". I'll have to mud it, and the mud would have nothing hard under it, and that was what I was hoping to avoid anyway.

Did something change? Or am I using a different product without realizing it?

My house has blueboard with skimcoat plaster on it, and I'm repairing holes 1" to 3" in diameter, always with a small wooden plank backing screwed behind for repair.

-Distressed Rookie.
You maybe thinking of this product.
Durham's Rock Hard water putty it is fast setting & used for wood & Plaster repair.
I don't think it is a DAP product.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You maybe thinking of this product.
Durham's Rock Hard water putty it is fast setting & used for wood & Plaster repair.
I don't think it is a DAP product.
Regular spackle will go and form a hardened layer, but it almost always cracks IME. Does the Rock Hard water putty crack? Is it a similar mixture to the old fashioned Bondo?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Regular spackle will go on form a hardened layer, but it almost always cracks IME. Does the Rock Hard water putty crack? Is it a similar mixture to the old fashioned Bondo?
Hard Rock is a mixture of Plaster of Paris , Talc & silica if the backing it is applied to moves it most likely would crack.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard Rock is a mixture of Plaster of Paris , Talc & silica if the backing it is applied to moves it most likely would crack.
I mean does it crack on its own? Put anything down but a thin layer of regular spackle down, and as it shrinks it'll easily crack all by itself.

The reason that I'm using the fast n' final style product is 1. it's premixed and ready to go, and 2. is immune to cracking, no matter how thickly it's applied.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's something my 16 y.o. wondered. Is it possible that out of the tub without vigorous mixing that it has air bubbles in it that collapse with pressure making it feel "soft"?

I'm going to have to try some experiments on the side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts