DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Supposed to dip to -17F tonight.
You gotta be tough to work in the NWT. No doubt you have your brass monkey indoors by the fire. ;)

I worked derricks on a drilling rig one winter near Newcastle, Wyoming... it didn't get -17 F. but it sure felt like it up there in a triple derrick where the wind howls like a banshee!

·
Licenced Electrician
561 Posts
You gotta be tough to work in the NWT. No doubt you have your brass monkey indoors by the fire. ;)

I worked derricks on a drilling rig one winter near Newcastle, Wyoming... it didn't get -17 F. but it sure felt like it up there in a triple derrick where the wind howls like a banshee!
It's a "dry" cold........:ROFLMAO:

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,461 Posts

On the drill rigs that I worked on in the 70's that were outfitted for Wyoming winters, we had walls, and heaters, everywhere, even the Crows nest.

Wasn't you rig so equipped?

I got Frostbit toes on all ten toes one year, while riggin up, and the steam was still leaking at most of the hammer joints, and I was crawling all over tightening them up.

I was dripping water , and like a greenhorn, I stepped out into a -20 degree night, with a light (25mph) wind.

My boots froze on the spot.

I spent the rest of that winter being treated with a sulfur compound salve and bandages on my feet.

The nerves never did come back, and to this day my one foot is still numb.

I lost the other one 2 years ago by stepping on a rusty nail, and Gangrene set in.

Anyway, wasn't that rig built for the weather?

ED

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Anyway, wasn't that rig built for the weather?
Not like the one you describe. This was in the winter of '54 and perhaps a poor-boy outfit... the derrick had a tarp wrapped for a portion at the monkey board... that was about it. It was called the "Black Hills Drilling Co." and the tool pusher was a man named Keefus or something like that. The Clareton basin was booming at the time.

I arrived in Newcastle with my Illinois wardrobe and having just turned 18 figured I could tough it out with what I had. Turns out I had to wear all three of the work pants and all the underwear I could get on and still get the pants and shirts over them. Looked sorta Pillsbury dough boy like. It worked but cut down some on my agility. Still pulled it off without executing any "snags."

I spooled up my duds and headed back to southern Illinois when we hit T.D. since I could see some worse times ahead while skidding the unit and rigging up again. When I got back home I thought very seriously about nailing my feet to the ground so I'd never leave good ol' southern Illinois again. I was still only 18 but a lot older! :D

Sorry about your losses there.. I got a bite or two along the way myself.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
you guys have a lot of life experiences. makes me feel like i have been living in a box all my life.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,461 Posts
you guys have a lot of life experiences. makes me feel like i have been living in a box all my life.

Life is not a contest to se who can die and leave a perfect corpse.

Life is an adventure to come in at the end sliding sideways, yelling

Woohoo, what a hell of a ride.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,461 Posts
Not like the one you describe. This was in the winter of '54 and perhaps a poor-boy outfit... the derrick had a tarp wrapped for a portion at the monkey board... that was about it. It was called the "Black Hills Drilling Co." and the tool pusher was a man named Keefus or something like that. The Clareton basin was booming at the time.

I arrived in Newcastle with my Illinois wardrobe and having just turned 18 figured I could tough it out with what I had. Turns out I had to wear all three of the work pants and all the underwear I could get on and still get the pants and shirts over them. Looked sorta Pillsbury dough boy like. It worked but cut down some on my agility. Still pulled it off without executing any "snags."

I spooled up my duds and headed back to southern Illinois when we hit T.D. since I could see some worse times ahead while skidding the unit and rigging up again. When I got back home I thought very seriously about nailing my feet to the ground so I'd never leave good ol' southern Illinois again. I was still only 18 but a lot older! :D

Sorry about your losses there.. I got a bite or two along the way myself. View attachment 634391
Yeah "54" was before OSHA got involved in operation, and those "wildcatters" were doing a lot of dumb things.

I'm glad that you wised up and went back to a warmer climate.

I'm still waiting for my rich uncle to get out, and I can go South myself.

ED

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Life is not a contest to se who can die and leave a perfect corpse.

Life is an adventure to come in at the end sliding sideways, yelling

Woohoo, what a hell of a ride.

ED
that is my point. in no way do i try to keep up with the Andersons. but i have not had much "adventure" in my life. hell, i have only been on 1 real vacation, 1. and that was only to Vegas, 20 years ago. makes me sad, i could have done so much more, but i didn't.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
that is my point. in no way do i try to keep up with the Andersons. but i have not had much "adventure" in my life. hell, i have only been on 1 real vacation, 1. and that was only to Vegas, 20 years ago. makes me sad, i could have done so much more, but i didn't.
You can't after the Pandemic is over?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Not to worry. There's a thin line between prudent risk management and being adventurous. It's best to err on the side of prudence and watch others push the limits on the other side. Having common sense is great but having uncommon sense is fantastic!

I get more satisfaction out of thinking about the things I did that were well done or benefitted someone else as opposed to reliving the times I took foolish risks and got by with it or sometimes didn't. They may sound like fun and make good stories but they were far from fun at the time and nobody with the least bit of sense would do any of them on purpose.

When you make it to the "sitting in the rocker on the porch" stage of life, it's more important to have some good deeds to remember rather than anything else.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
You can't after the Pandemic is over?
i could, BUT, my finances are not good right now, and i don't see them being good any time soon, if ever.
so, what money i have now, i have to watch every $. though, i do "waste" $3 a week on Lotto tickets.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Not to worry. There's a thin line between prudent risk management and being adventurous. It's best to err on the side of prudence and watch others push the limits on the other side. Having common sense is great but having uncommon sense is fantastic!

I get more satisfaction out of thinking about the things I did that were well done or benefitted someone else as opposed to reliving the times I took foolish risks and got by with it or sometimes didn't. They may sound like fun and make good stories but they were far from fun at the time and nobody with the least bit of sense would do any of them on purpose.

When you make it to the "sitting in the rocker on the porch" stage of life, it's more important to have some good deeds to remember rather than anything else.
i agree. but lets take you for example. you lived in SoCal. to me, that would be a REAL adventure !
soooo much to do there. around here, well, except for a very few things, Shitcago is a pretty lame place.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
my finances are not good right now, and i don't see them being good any time soon, if ever.
There's your trouble. You need to start "seeing" things in your future differently. You can make a lot of adventures by envisioning your goals. It's well known that doing that will automatically direct your energy toward getting it done. Change your attitude and it'll change your life.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
i could, BUT, my finances are not good right now, and i don't see them being good any time soon, if ever.
so, what money i have now, i have to watch every $. though, i do "waste" $3 a week on Lotto tickets.
I'm not sure if you want to be on an oil rig in freezing weather or travel, but, there are some cheap cruises ( not now, of course). I went on one thru Costco that hit Spain, France & Italy.

My dad was very tight ( like ZZZZZ) and we went on some wonderful drives across the US, mostly camping. He DIY'd a "kitchen" that fit in the back of the station wagon. Grizzly bears loved it! :ROFLMAO:

I would bet your family might say you accomplished a lot.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,461 Posts
Yes for sure, stop being eeyore, all gloom and doom.

Look at that 3$ spent on lottery tickets, as an investment in your future.

It may not pay off, but even if you win a few hundred, you had fun with it.

I too wish that I still had all the $$ that I "invested" in " wild things", but I have fond memories of most of them.

Life is too short to fret over the "what could have beens", build some, I did thats. and soon you will have tales to tell that will scare the heck out of you and them.

With how in the heck did I survive that.

ED

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
not doom & gloom = just being honest with myself.

the $3, it goes into a bank account that i will never withdraw from. "but" if i did, say, on the ticket i have now =
over 4mil out the door. i could live on that, it would be tough, but i could ! lol. 1 thing i would get = a new Vette

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
not doom & gloom = just being honest with myself.

the $3, it goes into a bank account that i will never withdraw from. "but" if i did, say, on the ticket i have now =
over 4mil out the door. i could live on that, it would be tough, but i could ! lol. 1 thing i would get = a new Vette
Honestly, Fix'n it, I haven't done the exciting job things the guys have done, well, depending on what you call exciting. . .but, i have traveled. I've been to 22 countries. For most trips I would gladly take the money back. Now the Photo Safari in Kenya, & Tanzania, the sailboat flotilla around Greece & my Hawaii dive boat experiences were worth it, but, as for the standing in line to see cathedrals, museums & castles, phfttt! And airports are :sick:

I still do get excited about almost drowning in a huge river tributary of the Congo, but, the memories have more to do with just what were those creatures slithering past my feet as I floated with the current? With age comes Wisdom, hopefully!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
With age comes Wisdom, hopefully!
Part of wisdom is realizing that when your dream comes true, you lost a dream. Sometimes the wanting is better than the having. I tend to be goal driven and need something to look forward to or strive for. As Gilda often said, "It's always something." YMMV

141 - 160 of 178 Posts