DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

101 - 120 of 178 Posts

·
Usually Confused
6,664 Posts
🤣
The above discussion by de-nagorg and Nealtw. You seem to know some meteorology, in the past.
I observe it only from the point of an interested hobbyist. I find that it's easier to get used to observing prevailing patterns in your local area. It's been made a whole lot easier with the advent of publicly available radar and satellite images. I prefer weather reports that are made by actual meteorologists rather that 'weather presenters' (although admittedly some are very good) or simply some person who is regurgitating weather text.

I pride myself in at lest being being better than my wife and late mother-in-law who are convinced that the weather that is observed in location 'x' (i.e. somebody they are talking to on the phone) is assuredly 'coming out way'.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
I observe it only from the point of an interested hobbyist. I find that it's easier to get used to observing prevailing patterns in your local area. It's been made a whole lot easier with the advent of publicly available radar and satellite images. I prefer weather reports that are made by actual meteorologists rather that 'weather presenters' (although admittedly some are very good) or simply some person who is regurgitating weather text.

I pride myself in at lest being being better than my wife and late mother-in-law who are convinced that the weather that is observed in location 'x' (i.e. somebody they are talking to on the phone) is assuredly 'coming out way'.
I've been pretty accurate if I see a dark squall on the horizon, stick my wet finger in the air and test the wind & the wind is blowing my way. . .

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
That just means the perimeter, but, it's great. It's supposed to rain in a few days.
I can't help but think of all the beautiful things I haven't seen that are now gone.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
About 45 F - not bad for middle of November. A front came through and they said it was going to be windy, and boy were they right.

So I'm in the recliner watching TV, and through the patio doors to my left I suddenly see my grill in flight, mid air. When the natural gas hose hits end of travel, it does a sudden drop, but by then its off the terrace and fall about 2 feet lower to the grass. Fortunately, my buddy was over and helped me lift it back onto the terrace. It's actually pretty heavy and I don't think I could have done it myself. Wind has died down now, and I seem to still have all my shingles :). Will check tomorrow to see if there was any serious damage to the grill. Must have been a big gust that caught it.

·
Usually Confused
6,664 Posts
About 45 F - not bad for middle of November. A front came through and they said it was going to be windy, and boy were they right.

So I'm in the recliner watching TV, and through the patio doors to my left I suddenly see my grill in flight, mid air. When the natural gas hose hits end of travel, it does a sudden drop, but by then its off the terrace and fall about 2 feet lower to the grass. Fortunately, my buddy was over and helped me lift it back onto the terrace. It's actually pretty heavy and I don't think I could have done it myself. Wind has died down now, and I seem to still have all my shingles :). Will check tomorrow to see if there was any serious damage to the grill. Must have been a big gust that caught it.

Same her. I was in the workshop when the electrical grid started having a mood so I decided to call it. Not a fan or working with sharp spinny things in the sudden dark.

Hope your grill is ok. Somebody told me the other day that, like so many other things 'because Covid' they are unobtainium.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
It's going down to 28° tonigh here in beautiful Southern Illinois. No snow yet this year but it often appears before Thanksgiving. I'll share a gif I found a few years ago that I send out when the time comes each year. Maybe some of you might have someone to send it along to. So let me be the first to wish you all a:

101 - 120 of 178 Posts