DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rental that is about 1300 sq ft. 2 bedroom 1 bathroom.

I turned the garage into a large bonus room off the kitchen with a laundry room at the back side of the room, you walk through the laundry room to exit the back door of the house.

I would like to add a bathroom and a bedroom in that space.

Any experienced people with building layout? Attached is a rough NOT TO SCALE :) sketch of the space.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Was your conversion of the garage to a bonus room an approved and permitted change? If so, you need to discuss what you plan with them first. If not, then time to bring them on board before you go further with your conversion.

Bud

·
Hammered Thumb
3,627 Posts
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if that kitchen door or the laundry layout can't move then you're left with one strange DIY hillbilly layout. No offense to hillbillys out there.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I’d scratch the bathroom idea in a bonus space.

A decent bath costs a fair amount of money. It’s a lot to risk in an unpermitted space.

If you can’t legalize the space, I wouldn’t recommend it. But it’s your money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was your conversion of the garage to a bonus room an approved and permitted change? If so, you need to discuss what you plan with them first. If not, then time to bring them on board before you go further with your conversion.

Bud
This Was a planned conversion by the previous owners. Permit etc. is not an issue. I am having trouble seeing the room layout. Suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d scratch the bathroom idea in a bonus space.

A decent bath costs a fair amount of money. It’s a lot to risk in an unpermitted space.

If you can’t legalize the space, I wouldn’t recommend it. But it’s your money.
Don't get confused I am going to have the new work permitted.
I am asking for layout advice. Funny the city is asking for a plan before permitting. Why does everyone assume the space is an not permitted addition?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if that kitchen door or the laundry layout can't move then you're left with one strange DIY hillbilly layout. No offense to hillbillys out there.
Hey

Hey,
the bedroom and the kitchen has to stay. because of the current completed build.

I was thinking about a room with a hallway. Maybe not a Master bedroom. Just an added bathroom. This would boost my resale or rent up a bit. Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Why does everyone assume the space is an not permitted addition?
Because that’s what the term bonus room (or bonus space) means.

It’s an attempt by the real estate industry to put a positive spin on what is actually a negative.

·
retired framer
49,149 Posts

It’s an attempt by the real estate industry to put a positive spin on what is actually a negative.
That must be a local meaning, here it would be any room that does not add to the roof line that you can finish. Converted garage, over the garage with trusses and under the garage in a dungeon,
:biggrin2:

·
retired framer
49,149 Posts
don't get confused i am going to have the new work permitted.
I am asking for layout advice. Funny the city is asking for a plan before permitting. Why does everyone assume the space is an not permitted addition?
#2............ I don't know how to make them bigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Bonus room:
A bonus room is a large room in a house which can be used as a multi-purpose area. A bonus room, unlike an American bedroom, does not usually contain a closet. A bonus room might be used as a family room, sewing or hobby room, game room, home cinema, office, or den.

·
retired framer
49,149 Posts
Neal! This is awesome. But how would you exit out the back door? without eliminating the back door of the home. things get hard.
A detail missing?? Move the powder room, make the bathroom bigger for a toilet put the door in that side. Then you will have room for coat closet and a pantry, with the washer and dryer between.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,627 Posts
You see the puzzle if you can't move the kitchen door, the plumbing too far from the wall, or back door. Maybe your renter can live with a bedroom entered off the kitchen, or walking through to get to the laundry or back door, but a buyer wouldn't value it compared to a tried and true 3 bedroom. The "bonus" room that's there now seems adequate - I have houses with additional rooms that are not advertised as bedrooms (but more importantly not taxed!), but some tenants choose to make it a bedroom anyway.

I agree maybe just a 1/2 bath back by the laundry would be good.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1/2 bath would work well.
I can get the plumbing anywhere in the room I would just cut the floor and run my lines.

IDK what a standard bathroom looks like but could a guy run a hallway close to the wall? make a room and a half bath on one side of the room?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would create a layout that provided a simple and direct way to run the drain line to your septic tank or street sewer line. With a bathroom you want light and a window and there can be privacy considerations on one wall versus another depending on what is outside. With the plumbing you will also want to allow for the pipes to provide venting for the sink and shower drains.

Allow space for a closet even if it is open and only has adjustable shelving for people to store linen and cleaning supplies, etc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A Bedroom must have a smoke detector tied into the other ones.
It must also have a means of Egress and Regress. Make sure your plan shows that for the permit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts