DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have knotty pine as trim on my windows and I hate it. It doesn't really match my home so I was wondering what your experiences are with the solid (opaque) stains? How well do they cover wood grain-they say they will cover the grain completely but will they also cover the dark knots is I choose a lighter opague color such as a tan or gray base? I have heard that it's nearly impossible to cover the dark knots with paint. If anyone has pictures of projects using opaque stain over knotty pine or know of sites that have pictures of this please post if you can.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
37,261 Posts
Post a picture of what you have.
Want it to look perfect and not see any knots, then replace the trim with stan grade trim.

·
2,392 Posts
Skidoo, knotty pine can be painted like any other. At least, the knots need to be sealed with BIN, a white pigmented shellac. Ideally, a full prime with shellac is best because tannin bleeds not only from the knots, but in areas throughout in a haze. It's a bit difficult to work with as a full prime as it dries very quickly, but help is here if you choose. You could however use BIN on the knots, another primer like Zinsser 123 on the rest, and just deal with any haze later as it appears. It may not, no pun intended.
After priming some knots may need spackling to make smooth. Patch them with some lighweight vinyl spackle, sand smooth, prime and then you're ready to paint the trim with the finish of you choice.
Check back with further questions if needed.
Joe

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
We are talking interior or exterior trim here? I ask because one would not normally consider a solid stain indoors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts