DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cannot seem to figure out how this was done without using a ground as a conductor.

i am remodeling a room and tore it down about 6 months ago. i pulled this wiring as i was going to re-run new wire but not change anything else (same fixtures same routing). i do know for sure that the wire i pulled out was standard 14/2 wire (i still have it and confirmed i was not mistaken)

This wire ran from one light fixture to a 2nd light fixture and then dead ends at the light switch.

the wiring looks like this...

https://imgur.com/2hLII3D

now how in the world did they manage to wire this with only 2 conductor wire? i keep coming back to they must have used the ground wire as a conductor.

· Super Moderator
24,982 Posts
You can't do it with two conductors. You must have three conductors between the fixtures to make it work. Also new code requires three conductors to the switch so that you have a neutral.

· Registered
10,404 Posts
Run the power feed cable directly to the switch.
If the best routing goes past a light fixture then the power cable can run past the outside of the light box. Fourteen-two cable will work fine here.

Alternative: If power goes to one light fixture box and the switch cable goes to another then three wire cable is needed between those two switch boxes. (As well as 3 wire cable down to the switch as mentioned earlier/.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.