DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see photo illustration. I need to install a new front yard lamp post from a dedicated previously installed switch in the garage. My thoughts are to take wire from the existing box, down about 2-3' on inside garage wall, drill hole outside, install gfci box and outlet, then take conduit straight down underground to the pole.

My question is, how do I make sure the gfci outlet I install is always "on" and not controller by the switch being on or off. Furthermore, what wiring do I have to do in this situation to make sure the switch works?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
I make it a habit of never mixing power and lighting on the same circuit. And I recommend that you don't either. Why would you want to have a pole lamp switch in the garage? I would have it right next to the front door. In fact, we have a natural gas lamp at the end of the sidewalk and the switch to ignite the gas it is at the front door. If you want a switch in the garage, I recommend a 3-way switch in the garage and at the front door. Pull another circuit to feed the power. All exterior power should be on its own circuit. We have lights under the large trees in the front yard and 8 outlets on the outside of the house. I have 6 circuits that feed all of the lights and power. Think this thru as to what you will want in the future. Do it right the first time.

·
Super Moderator
21,785 Posts
To accomplish what you want you need to bring power to the switch. Run a 3 wire cable to the receptacle. Run twos wire+ ground to your lamp post from the receptacle.
From the switch the three wire cable will one switched hot, one unswitched hot and a neutral.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,467 Posts
I make it a habit of never mixing power and lighting on the same circuit. And I recommend that you don't either. Why would you want to have a pole lamp switch in the garage? I would have it right next to the front door. In fact, we have a natural gas lamp at the end of the sidewalk and the switch to ignite the gas it is at the front door. If you want a switch in the garage, I recommend a 3-way switch in the garage and at the front door. Pull another circuit to feed the power. All exterior power should be on its own circuit. We have lights under the large trees in the front yard and 8 outlets on the outside of the house. I have 6 circuits that feed all of the lights and power. Think this thru as to what you will want in the future. Do it right the first time.

Fine to overkill everything in your own home, but makes for useless advice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i will have:
(1) Switch inside Garage
(2) GFCi outlet on same wall outside garage
(3) Lamp in front yard

I am pretty sure I have power to the inside receptacle already.. Photo attached. Does this change your reply?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,785 Posts
Only changes if you are in Canada. Outdoor receptacles need to be a dedicated circuit in Canada.
In USA if that is a garage circuit I think you by code you can't add an outdoor receptacle to it. I think garage receptacles are dedicated to the garage.

It would appear from the picture that the lights and receptacle might be on two separate circuits. The white and yellow cables makes me think you have 15 amp circuit for the lights and a 20 amp circuit for the receptacle. Make sure you turn off both breakers when working in the box.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dangerous as a cocked gun wiring things like that. Even though it is allowed, common sense has to take over now and again. This is why I never mix power and lighting in the same box. Have only one circuit coming into a box.

·
Registered
254 Posts
2017 NEC calls for dedicated circuit for garage receptacles, with the exception of allowing "readily available" exterior receptacle outlet on same circuit. I know that's clear as mud, but would require your AHJ inspector to disallow your install in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
21,785 Posts
2017 NEC calls for dedicated circuit for garage receptacles, with the exception of allowing "readily available" exterior receptacle outlet on same circuit. I know that's clear as mud, but would require your AHJ inspector to disallow your install in my opinion.
That would likely not include a lamp post.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,467 Posts
Only changes if you are in Canada. Outdoor receptacles need to be a dedicated circuit in Canada.

Inspectors have allowed me to add outdoor receptacles off
existing circuits due to other existing GFI outlets meeting the
dedicated requirements. Same sort of idea as the old rule that
required a dedicated outlet in the eating area, but didn't preclude
other outlets in same area on general purpose cct of up to 12
outlets.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I am pretty sure I have power to the inside receptacle already.. Photo attached. Does this change your reply?
Well, it begs the question if that receptacle in the pic is GFCI protected or not. current code requires it.
If you are modifying/extending that circuit, you need to bring it up to code.

·
Super Moderator
14,481 Posts
A dedicated circuit for one post light is ridiculous. I am surprised you weren't told to run 4" Schedule 80 several feet down.

OP, your plan sounds good. To ensure the light stays on just leave the switch on . You could bypass the switch but it is nice to be able to kill the power without turning off breakers and affecting other parts of the house. It is also fine to mix lighting and receptacles with a few exceptions like kitchens, laundries and bathrooms receptacle circuits.. if your circuit is gfi protected you can bury it 12 inches or greater. Without gfi protection you need to go deeper.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The 2017 NEC doesn't permit lights on the required dedicated garage receptacle circuit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,481 Posts
That code may not even apply, especially if there is no dedicated garage circuit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts