DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I am remodeling my kitchen and I need some input on under cabinet kitchen lighting(UCL) I am proposing in my home. I am planning on tapping into an existing switch for my power source. The switch is in a single gang box. The switch controls overhead lighting and is part of a 15A breaker circuit. I will replace it with a double gang box and new switch to control the UCL. I would like to put several lights underneath the cabinets, but I need some advice on how to wire the multiple lights. We will most likely be using LED fixtures for the lighting. I have read that if I want multiple lights wired to the same switch, I should daisy chain them. However, it may be difficult for me to run the romex 14/2 cable in a daisy chain so that each light feeds the next light. I did see an example where I can use a junction splice box and distribute the romex to each light from the junction box. I have a suitable place where the appropriate size box can be accessible. I attached a sketch of my kitchen to illustrate the scenarios. I also attached two pictures of the wiring methods I am describing. Can I wire the lights from the junction box? Is there a name for this type of setup? Or do I have to use the daisy chain method. Also, if I can distribute from the junction box, can I still daisy chain two lights if needed at a particular kitchen cabinet? Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
Either method is fine as long as the j box is accessable. Your second method is a star pattern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts