DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gotta wire some stuff up at my house like an outlet. does neone know how to do this kinda stuff? would it be cool if i just open up a outlet i got in my place already and see how the wires are connected? should i just get the same wires at the store and run em from there to another place i want an outlet? i wanna run this cord through the wall so it cant be seen. whos got some tips for me? and what do the diff. color wires stand for?

·
Registered
29 Posts
not meant as offense, but based on the questions you're asking and just gauging your level of experience on it, I would actually just recommend you can an electrician.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Electrical work can be very dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Not taking into account the great personal harm you can do to yourself or your home there are many other things you need to take into consideration such as local and national electrical codes, permitting and the like.

There are many good books on home wiring to help get started. Check out the books, talk to your local planning department to find out what permitting requirements you might have. However, if you do not have a experience doing this kind of work or an electrician friend to supervise/help out it is very easy to get in over your head.

Given the great risk to you and your home it may wiser to just call an electrician.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Please call an electrician, get a few estimates for the job. I know this is a diyer site, but most people asking electrical questions here at least understand basic wiring. You should read up on a couple of books to get some understanding of the wires, colors, etc.

·
Power Gen/RS Engineer
785 Posts
...talk to your local planning department to find out what permitting requirements you might have.
Or if the line is long, you can always ask the experts at your local Home Depot.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts